Wikia

Bleach Wiki

Ichigo's Zanpakuto

  • I believe Ichigo's Zanpakuto is that of darkness but it's classified as a melee type so who would wish to either prove me wrong or bring something to the table to sway my opinion. Please respond ASAP!

      Loading editor
    • Yyp

      Well, can you prove there is such a thing as a darkness type Zanpakuto in Bleach? Such a concept does not exist in this series as things stand and we cannot just go inventing such things, we have to stick to what is presented in the series

        Loading editor
    • That is true and its funny you say that because I have developed a theory on how Zangetsu is a darkness type Zanpakuto and as a matter a fact this wiki supports the idea without realizing it.

        Loading editor
    • Well, does it manipulate darkness? Does it control the shadows? Does it bring out the evil in men's hearts? No. It fires off waves of Reiatsu and, in Bankai, lets Ichigo move around really fast. There is nothing to support it being a Kido-type, much less a darkness-type, Zanpakuto.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah that may be true but if you look at Ichigo after the soul society arc you notice that his spiritual pressure was getting darker as if it was trying to convert itself into darkness to mimic the fact that every time Ichigo unleashed his bankai you noticed that his hollow side or his "darkness" was taking over. Since during the fight between him and Zaraki Kenpachi his sword broke and Zangetsu tested Ichigo to see if he was truly worthy of being his partner. After Ichigo passed the test his hollow side became apart of Zangetsu which means Ichigo's power after the soul society arc was no longer containing the darkness the Getsuga Tensho had possessed. If you looked closely when Ichigo unleashed his dark spiritual pressure it possessed a blue outline which meant Ichigo was holding the darkness in check. However when he went bankai during the arrancar arc you never saw that blue outline which meant bit by bit Ichigo was being taken over by his darkness. Another thing to mention is that when Ichigo became Getsuga itself did you notice his spiritual pressure no longer possessed that line that was keeping it bound? It was free and with closer inspection unlike the others his didn't shine; why bring this up because if his spiritual pressure even at that level had surpassed Shinigami and Hollow just like how Aizen did with the Hogyoku then how come it was just completely black? When other Shinigami or Hollow show off their spiritual pressure you can see that light can clearly shine through because of two things. One because of the fact that we all know that light is a form of color and even though Ichigo's original key note original spiritual pressure was a light blue it changed after Kisuke Urahara's Hollowification process gave Ichigo his own power. Two after a while Ichigo's Spiritual pressure turned black and I mean completely black to the point where it followed the definition of the word black that states "It is the darkest color, the result of the absence of or complete absorption of light. It is the opposite of white and often represents darkness in contrast with light." One more crucial thing to point out is it's final attack name Mugetsu which means "Moonless Sky" key word moonless. The moon being the source of light to illuminate the darkness of nightfall being taken away leaves nothing but pitch black darkness to fall. Also when you see Ichigo use the technique it uses the ability of absolute darkness which robs the area of all light and as a matter of fact it did and after it dissipated all the light and color returned to the environment. Also I would like to point out that I never said it was Kido- based Zanpakuto also add to the fact that it in itself is a melee-elemental type since it starts off as melee but when it reaches its final form it becomes elemental and even then it shows before reaching its final state that the darkness is there but it's being contained in order to harness its power to increase the attack's damage against the opponent.

        Loading editor
    • You've presented an interesting point but unless he himself manipulated shadows (sink to shadow like Kyoraku, fire off shadow waves, engulf enemies with shadow, etc.) I'd still believe Zangetsu is a melee type with a special ranged attack much like Zabimaru's Hikotsu Taiho. One thing though, "Moonless Sky" may refer to not being able to see another "Moon (Getsuga)" technique after Mugetsu, since he's on FINAL Getsuga Tensho form and it will drain off all of the user's powers.

        Loading editor
    • I see your point but what got me thinking Zangetsu was a dark type was two things one the fact that Ichigo whenever he went Bankai during the arrancar arc even though I mentioned this before Ichigo was struggling to keep the hollow in check since it was connected to his Zanpakuto. His hollow side was his darkness and after looking into Ichigo's abilities I realized his spiritual pressure in its self was negative energy since it responded to his rage especially when the hollow side of him took over during his fight with Ulquiorra. Even though his drive for protecting Orihime initiated the transformation his rage fueled his destructive power also Ichigo's hollow side whenever he used Ichigo's body as a weapon he always used Zangetsu even though he proved that he himself can materialize his Zanpakuto which is opposite of Zangetsu himself since he uses lights or used light on Ichigo during their fight since Ichigo was using his version of Getsuga Tensho which meant that his Hollow was his own source of darkness and that Zangetsu was enhancing it each time Ichigo went bankai.

        Loading editor
    • And two whenever Ichigo was in a battle and he was losing to his darkness aka Hollow kept trying to possess him unlike the Vizards who could just access their powers after supposedly conquering them since we never really see it. Also add to the fact that since the Vizards themselves saw Ichigo as one them they believed that his hollow powers allowed him to access the power of the mask giving abilities such as the spiritual pressure, the cero, and possibly Sonido, but with Ichigo he was able to fully access the power of his hollow side because of the fact that Zangetsu was amplifying his hollow powers and to prove this when Ichigo was learning Mugetsu from Zangetsu how was Tenza Zangetsu able to just fuse with him so easily if they hadn't already had such partnership in first place. Which means that his hollow side bonded with Ichigo to such an extent he became the physical embodiment of his darkness his darker half which meant that Zangetsu must have the ability to bring out and strengthen the darkness of its user also with Mugetsu itself robbing all light in the vicinity of its attack how is that not an ability of darkness.

        Loading editor
    • Um...first off, his Zanpakuto wouldn't cause any of that. Secondly, any type of Zanpakuto that isn't melee falls under Kido, which Zangetsu does not. If it had ever displayed any ability relating to the concept of darkness, then perhaps your theory would be somewhat valid, but it is a melee-type, not a Kido-type, and it is most definitely not a darkness-type.

        Loading editor
    • Xilinoc wrote: Um...first off, his Zanpakuto wouldn't cause any of that. Secondly, any type of Zanpakuto that isn't melee falls under Kido, which Zangetsu does not. If it had ever displayed any ability relating to the concept of darkness, then perhaps your theory would be somewhat valid, but it is a melee-type, not a Kido-type, and it is most definitely not a darkness-type.

      SO what exactly does Yamamoto's abilites fall under?

      And Zangetsu better fits the melee title Zandukanjin. Its more of a "Power cloak" than "Shadow/dark" type. Its it Ichigo's nature to be cloaked in power, surrounded in pure SP, which is black most likely because of his Hollow half.

      I know these points aren't strong, but RL limits my time. >____<

        Loading editor
    • Yamamoto is Yamamoto. It relates more to his disposition than anything iirc.

        Loading editor
    • Alright I see your logic but just from watching Zangetsu in action I still believe his affinity is darkness

        Loading editor
    • Also even though that's stated with the kido based logic I just think its weird they say kido based but wouldn't that mean they would have to say an incantation before saying the words to unlock their Zanpakuto?

        Loading editor
    • No, Kido-type means an ability that is not melee and akin to, say, magic, which is kinda what Kido is. For example, a fire-type Zanpakuto like Ryujin Jakka is a Kido-type because it can produce fire, much like how Kido can. Wabisuke is also a Kido-type because it has an effect which could likely be produced by Kido. Make sense?

        Loading editor
    • Well, what made you think Zangetsu is Shadow type because you saw it's bankai. What about shikai? Did Zangetsu ever fired black colored Getsuga? No, Hollow Ichigo doesn't count. What happens with H. Ichigo stays in his inner world. If Zangetsu was really a shadow type Zanpakuto, it's shikai should also be able to manipulate shadows or at least fire a black getsuga.

        Loading editor
    • Well cause it seem like Kubo started it off with Ichigo's blade being just a sword of destruction but later on in the series it was corrupting Ichigo and he possessed a great fear of his hollow which was like an overwhelming darkness. Also after looking at what Mugetsu could do it made me think that; and the fact that his hollow took over his own sword aka Zangetsu it just made me think that it was a sword that revealed its true form. Ha made a funny but any way it just seemed like it was a sword that was like a double edge power it gave you strength to defeat your enemies but it corrupted you that was the price.

        Loading editor
    • Yyp wrote: Well, can you prove there is such a thing as a darkness type Zanpakuto in Bleach? Such a concept does not exist in this series as things stand and we cannot just go inventing such things, we have to stick to what is presented in the series

      Mmmmm, they do state that it represents the soul in some way. I wouldn't be suprised if there could be a darkness type Zanpakuto, I mean nearly every anime has something to do with Darkness, despite it not being an Element in anyway, shape or form.

        Loading editor
    • I got a small theory. Shinigami cannot really "create" like Quincies can right? Ichigo may have used his hidden quincy talents to literally bring out Zangetsu, I.E Zangetsu is merely a Reishi weapon that he moved into. To put it bluntly, the only one who can repair Ichigo's bankai, is himself.

        Loading editor
    • This seems kind of silly. Just because his Bankai Getsuga is black doesn't mean it has anything to do with darkness/shadow. Nothing we've seen supports this.

        Loading editor
    • No I never said oh his sword his black that means he has darkness no I was talking about how his Getsuga Tensho was like darkness being contained by a line of spiritual pressure from his hollow and that when he unleashed his Mugetsu that the darkness was no longer contained it was able to go all out and when it did all light was robbed for that attacks duration then when it left it went back to normal. That is what I said.

        Loading editor
    • I think it's just a color choice, my friend. Probably looking a little too hard at this.

        Loading editor
    • I thought it has become clear in the recent training arc with Ouetsu Nimaiya that Zangetsu is not a zanpakuto in the traditional sense at all, let alone a conventional one that has a type.

        Loading editor
    • I know my friends said that as well but you never know what Kubo has up his sleeve cause seriously I am still a fan of bleach but now its just disappointing.

        Loading editor
    • I think most would agree that this has been a stellar year for Bleach. You are entitled to your opinions, though.

        Loading editor
    • Yyp
      Yyp removed this reply because:
      language
      10:11, April 11, 2013
      This reply has been removed

      I mean its just the fact that Kubo brought back like a miniature shitty ass army of quincies that just have the power of plot and completely bitch slap an entire MILITARY ORGANIZATION with some cheap "Oh we can steal your bankai and fuck you in the ass with it" Bullshit!

        Loading editor
    • Great, rage post. Seems someone doesn't like the current arc. Though I'd agree that the Quincy are a bit overpowered in this current arc. Then again, there's nothing better than a Quincy vs Shinigami war for the ending of Bleach.

        Loading editor
    • Zankudanjin wrote: I mean its just the fact that Kubo brought back like a miniature shitty ass army of quincies that just have the power of plot and completely bitch slap an entire MILITARY ORGANIZATION with some cheap "Oh we can steal your bankai and fuck you in the ass with it" Bullshit!

      First off, watch your language; this is still a civilized forum. Secondly, that's necessary for plot purposes - if the Gotei 13 weren't utterly decimated by the enemy, what motivation would they have to get stronger and win at all costs?

        Loading editor
    • Apologies all around but what gets me so angry is the fact they are trying to continue this series even with everything that's happened they are still trying to add on. Now okay they can do whatever they want with the anime because its the anime however as long they do anything too outrageous then its fine. However the manga is something that is supposed to make us say "Thank god we have the original story not some filler" I mean I think to this point Kubo is trying to save the series but its too far gone.

        Loading editor
    • Zankudanjin wrote: Apologies all around but what gets me so angry is the fact they are trying to continue this series even with everything that's happened they are still trying to add on. Now okay they can do whatever they want with the anime because its the anime however as long they do anything too outrageous then its fine. However the manga is something that is supposed to make us say "Thank god we have the original story not some filler" I mean I think to this point Kubo is trying to save the series but its too far gone.

      Kubo, IMO, is trying to answer all the mysteries. Which there are alot of.

      E.g., right now the issue with Masaki and Isshun and etc. I'm confident that Kubo will get to Zangetsu's situation right after some of the current stuff is finished. So no worries (and no need for profanity), we just need abit more to work on.

      Something that I can't stop thinking about how Ichigo's "butter sword" in the beginning of the series. How it was horribly unstable and how it was even able to power Uryu's own power through simple contact.

        Loading editor
    • Yyp
      Yyp removed this reply because:
      crack theory
      19:45, April 14, 2013
      This reply has been removed

      IMO Zangetsu does not embody an element, it embodies a concept. It is either geared towards destruction ie. Returning everything to nothingness, or his power is simply being better and stronger and will be explained when Ichigo's assigned Quincy letter is revealed. Another interesting observation is that no 'melee type' Zanpaktou is strictly a melee type. The melee types tend to have animal themes, or they have a specific power that aids them in melee combat. Zangetsu is Ichigo himself and Ichigo is the son of a Hollowfied Quincy highborn and a Shinigami of Royal descent.

        Loading editor
    • Lonalex00 wrote: Zangetsu is Ichigo himself and Ichigo is the son of a Hollowfied Quincy highborn and a Shinigami of Royal descent.


      Like speculation? This is the most out there example I have seen yet! Although people have said it before... Either way, I'd watch the abstract remarks! At least give some evidence to back it up. If there is any.

        Loading editor
    • TechGenusMasterWA01 wrote:

      Lonalex00 wrote: Zangetsu is Ichigo himself and Ichigo is the son of a Hollowfied Quincy highborn and a Shinigami of Royal descent.


      Like speculation? This is the most out there example I have seen yet! Although people have said it before... Either way, I'd watch the abstract remarks! At least give some evidence to back it up. If there is any.

      Sadly, there is no info. to back this up! (or is there...?) Clearly, this is not true. Ichigo is the son of a Quincy and a Soul reaper.

        Loading editor
    • Tōshirō Hitsugaya-kun wrote:

      Sadly, there is no info. to back this up! (or is there...?) Clearly, this is not true. Ichigo is the son of a Quincy and a Soul reaper.

      Ichigo is not a soul reaper, he's a human and part quincy. Before Zangetsu broke a substitute shinigami.

        Loading editor
    • She merely said that his father (Was, now is again) a Shinigami. His mom was a Quincy.

      We all should know by now that Ichigo is just a Human. With Quincy on the side.

        Loading editor
    • Hoho, I agree with Zangetsu having related to destruction and "returning everything to nothingness". Since Zanpakutos are virtually reflection of a Shinigami's soul, maybe Ichigo's nature as a Quincy (Monks of DESTRUCTION) molded into sword then poof, here comes a sword with so much spiritual pressure that easily unleashes devastating spiritual pressures in the form of Getsuga Tenshou. Hey I'm crazy eh?

        Loading editor
    • Maybe who knows all I got to say is hopefully this will not be a let down.

        Loading editor
    • Yyp
      Yyp removed this reply because:
      insulting other users
      12:40, April 21, 2013
      This reply has been removed

      Level 1 readers the lot of you. Here Kubo goes to the effort of clearing misunderstandings, telling the origin of our hero and explaining why he is so damn strong without resorting to "because he's the MC/chosen one"-schtick and all you can do is complain? Worse than filler? Give me a break, the anime filler reinforces the shitty shounen tropes and offers nothing of value ever except for eyecandy.

        Loading editor
    • Please don't use the words "shitty" or "damn" You owe an apology to those people you insulted, as it violates the policies!! If you don't apologize, I will hunt you down!! Bleach Wikia is not the appropriate place for this. I talked to a chat moderator, and it is unacceptable. You need to apologize!

        Loading editor
    • Lonalex, this is completely uncalled for on a forum. It is ok to have a difference in opinion, but insulting is not called for. Please refrain from this approach to arguing your case! Make some good points and I might hear you out.

        Loading editor
    • The "Darkness" is simply a color scheme Kubo used to reflect the corruption of the soul by his inner hollow, at least that's what I see, nothing special. I believe Ichigo was never truly meant to be a soul reaper, his quincy blood was constantly at war with his shinigami powers, hence his uncontrollable and sporadic reiatsu. Ginjo was also a substitute shinigami, does that mean his father was also a shinigami, I think not. As far as I'm concerned being a substitute shinigami is nothing special, you just have to have some amount of spiritual capability and have been granted the powers by a real shinigami, I'd say Ichigo just had more of an aptitude for it because of his father. I believe his quincy blood is why the Asauchi forsook him a few chapters ago, that is where his "true" powers lie and why Oetsu told Ichigo he isn't a shinigami. From the very beginning Ichigo was a quincy, at least this is my theory.

        Loading editor
    • Skitzo1
      Skitzo1 removed this reply because:
      Doesn't really have anything to do with the blog, seems quite urm... targeted towards Darkon825.
      17:46, June 18, 2013
      This reply has been removed

      Can anybody tell me why Darkkon825 is allowed to interject his personal opinions on characters when this was supposed to be about Ichigo's Zanpakutō?

        Loading editor
    • Yyp
      Yyp removed this reply because:
      off topic
      22:32, June 18, 2013
      This reply has been removed

      Wynia wrote: Can anybody tell me why Darkkon825 is allowed to interject his personal opinions on characters when this was supposed to be about Ichigo's Zanpakutō?

      Because it is actually on topic. If you read the actual statement of the poster, whom thinks Ichigo's true Zanpakuto may be a darkness type, and since Darkkon825 actually talks about the "theory of the darkness type" and also Ichigo's inherent abilities and his Zanpakuto, his opinion is allowed to fly because its on topic.

      Besides, the entire comment section is supposed to let us share our opinions on the blog so long as it is on topic. In fact, your comment has little to do with the blog, and just seems judgmental.

      I think his statements are pretty bang on, considering the the development of recent chapters. And he has a good "ichigo theory".

      =)

        Loading editor
    • Yyp
      Yyp removed this reply because:
      off topic
      22:32, June 18, 2013
      This reply has been removed

      The paragraph he wrote about Ichigo's Zanpakutō is relevant the last note is just character bashing for no reason. Just to remain on topic will Ichigo retain his Bankai or will he have to earn it again because the blade being forged for him is new?

        Loading editor
    • Wynia wrote: Just to remain on topic will Ichigo retain his Bankai or will he have to earn it again because the blade being forged for him is new?

      He would probably keep his Bankai, it was Hollow Ichigo all along, its not like he lost his Zanpakuto, Hollow Ichigo is always there.

        Loading editor
    • Oetsu told him he would have to say farewell to the Zangetsu he knows so it sounds like it is going to be something completely different from his broken blade and how will his Quincy abilities effect his Shinigami powers.

        Loading editor
    • Wynia wrote: Oetsu told him he would have to say farewell to the Zangetsu he knows so it sounds like it is going to be something completely different from his broken blade and how will his Quincy abilities effect his Shinigami powers.

      The Zangetsu he knows isn't Zangetsu. Doesn't mean Zangetsu has never been around.

        Loading editor
    • Yyp

      Guys please keep this thread on topic. Several posts have been deleted and parts of others removed as they are completely unrelated to the topic or were bashing. I have left up the comments (or part thereof) that were on topic. To be clear calling for the death of a character is not tolerated (the cause of the off topic comments).

        Loading editor
    • Dual Zanpakuto? so now Ichigo has followed in the footsteps of Ukitake and Shunsui and evaporating all that water with reiatsu!!!

      Makes sense though he has two spirits in his inner world and as such has two Zanpakuto what will be interesting to see next is whether they have the same abilities or are the same type. Maybe they are opposites one being fire and the other water? As for the darkness type it sounds plausible seeing to his black zanpakuto in Bankai but I'm still hoping for the zanpakuto to have opposite abilities

        Loading editor
    • that a good twist a dual zampakuto interesting...now i whant know if the 2 spirit are the same "hollow ichigo" look exacly the same but "zangetsu" look a little different (maybe the bankai version is the real zangetsu)

        Loading editor
    • Nitram86 wrote: that a good twist a dual zampakuto interesting...now i whant know if the 2 spirit are the same "hollow ichigo" look exacly the same but "zangetsu" look a little different (maybe the bankai version is the real zangetsu)

      There was a lot of hints to the dual zanpakuto, the chain on his Bankai that went to nothing (which was unusual) and the way hollow ichigo used zangetsu when he used hid "deadly darts" which always would leave him defenseless, why would a being like a hollow-zanpakuto make a mistake fighting like that?

      One of the zanpakuto is similar to Zangetsu's Shikai and the other is a smaller version of it with a guard protecting the fingers and maybe this might be used as a knuckleduster. The Bankai looks like it could be an extension to the original with the second blade at the end of the chain and Ichigo could use one of these blades like the "deadly darts" ability while defending with the other

      As I have stated with the use of the blades like I've said (one defensive one offensive) it is likely he never had many offensive abilities because the original zanpakuto was only the defensive one if this is the actual fact then most likely the smaller zanpakuto has the offensive abilities (Hollow Ichigo) while the larger one is the defensive (Old Man)

        Loading editor
    • Does this mean his zanpakuto spirit is the hybrid he had to engage before he was able to acquire the Final Getsuga Tensho and defeat Aizen?

        Loading editor
    • This is interesting, I didn't expect Ichigo to get a dual type Zanpakutô after the forging process. I expected a single blade like his old Bankai, similarities or no similarities otherwise.

      It will be interesting to see more of the new Zangetsu.

        Loading editor
    • HollowKing17 wrote: The Bankai looks like it could be an extension to the original with the second blade at the end of the chain and Ichigo could use one of these blades like the "deadly darts" ability while defending with the other

      As I have stated with the use of the blades like I've said (one defensive one offensive) it is likely he never had many offensive abilities because the original zanpakuto was only the defensive one if this is the actual fact then most likely the smaller zanpakuto has the offensive abilities (Hollow Ichigo) while the larger one is the defensive (Old Man)

      So you believe Ichigo's Bankai might be similar to the manifested Zabimaru (spirit), where a chain connected the smaller, offensive Hebi, to the larger, defensive Saru?

      Like you said, there were so many signs of a dual Zanpakuto. How come you never see what's right in front of you? -.-

        Loading editor
    • Does this mean he can use his Quincy powers in one blade and Shinigami in the other?

        Loading editor
    • i think like other zampakuto his zampakuto have 2 spirit with the same name like Sōgyo no Kotowari or zabimaru or Katen Kyōkotsu. both are his zampakuto hollow ichigo is his shinigami power "zangetsu" is his quincy powers.

        Loading editor
    • 1bAP0FT-L5A

      Cook, Zangetsu!

        Loading editor
    • Will-O-Wisp wrote: Cook, Zangetsu!

      Haha, "cook", that would be the funniest release command ever!

        Loading editor
    • You know I have to admit I am little surprised to see there are people still posting on this thread.

        Loading editor
    • Will Ichigo ever be able to control his reiatsu? Will he ever learn Kido or special Hakuto techniques? I hope he will actually have a release command for his Zangetsu.

        Loading editor
    • I hope so too. It would be nice to see him attain a sealed Zangetsu. But if that should happen, I wonder if the release command could be similar to Isshin's, like the name of the Zanpakutô is.

        Loading editor
    • Sternritter M wrote:

      Will-O-Wisp wrote: Cook, Zangetsu!

      Haha, "cook", that would be the funniest release command ever!

      Just wait till you see his 'Onion Chop' technique, or the new Bankai release 'Scrambled Eggs'. ^^

        Loading editor
    • Haha, this is too funny :D

      "Cook, Zangetsu!" "Bankai! Tensa Zangetsu - Egg Scramble!"

        Loading editor
    • "Bankai! Tensa Zangetsu. Whisked Eggs!"

        Loading editor
    • "Cook, Chicken Stew!"

        Loading editor
    • LOL But on a serious note, it would be cool if Ichigo's Shikai release command was "Carve".

        Loading editor
    • If we're going to be serious here and assume Ichigo can even seal his Zanpakuto, the release command would be based on the appearance of the blade and its abilities. Since he now has two unique blades, it would take the separation of one blade into two into account. Additionally, if Ichigo still possesses the use of Getsuga Tensho, the sole technique of his blade, this would also be referenced in the name. Hence, an appropriate release command incorporating the dual blade nature of the Shikai and the destructive, ramming nature of the lone technique would be along the lines of "Divide and smash", "Divide" referencing the dual blades and "smash" representing Getsuga Tensho.

        Loading editor
    • Hmm, I was referring to the shape of the blades, but I guess your perception seems interesting as well. Maybe, "Divide and Magnify"? That seems alright.

        Loading editor
    • Regarding "carve" - Findor Calius had the release command "carve upon the water", if I remember correctly.

      A release command related to the appearance and the divide of 1 sealed blade into 2 blades, could very well be something like "split", "divide", or more describing like Xilinoc's "divide and smash". But honestly, "divide and smash" sounds a bit too much.

      I'd rather go for just "split".

        Loading editor
    • But I guess Kubo probably wouldn't know what to call it, so he's probably going to keep the blades in a constant Shikai state to avoid the situation. *smirk*

        Loading editor
    • Well, we've already used split in "Split and Deviate" for Yumichika's Zanpakuto.

        Loading editor
    • Wait a minute, how about "Shear". I mean, they look like they can be used like scissors.

        Loading editor
    • Yes, but release commands generally take into account the ability and appearance of the Shikai, not what purpose they might serve.

        Loading editor
    • From the shape of the blades, that could be possible. But I think "split" and "divide" sounds better.

        Loading editor
    • Well Ichigo never gave a release command when he took hold of Zangetsu, so the two blades were either forged that way, or it went instantly into Shikai at his mere touch, which has only occurred once before, with Kenpachi's Zanpakuto.

        Loading editor
    • Honestly if you remember Isshin's release command- "Burn, Engetsu" and the fact Nimaiya commented that Zangetsu has fire power, and the reference to the moon as well as the split power between the Old Man's Quincy powers and Hichigo's Hollow powers, I believe it'd be more of a phrase than just two separate words or a simple one word release such as "Raze the moon and bleach the heavens, Zangetsu!" Which would combine raze, a term associated with fire, the moon for Zangetsu and bleach for Hichigo while the heavens could be a reference to Tensa Zangetsu or his Quincy powers through the Old Man. I mean Zangetsu means "Slaying Moon" literally. Tensa Zangetsu is "Heavenly Chain Slaying Moon" Which Tensa Zangetsu has the combined form of his powers now anyways so I believe it'd make the most sense.

      I could be completely wrong but I'm excited to see what Kubo has in store.

        Loading editor
    • I have always fancied the idea that the monologue Zangetsu have Ichigo right before being released was the command.

        Loading editor
    • XxTensaZangetsuxX wrote: Honestly if you remember Isshin's release command- "Burn, Engetsu" and the fact Nimaiya commented that Zangetsu has fire power, and the reference to the moon as well as the split power between the Old Man's Quincy powers and Hichigo's Hollow powers, I believe it'd be more of a phrase than just two separate words or a simple one word release such as "Raze the moon and bleach the heavens, Zangetsu!" Which would combine raze, a term associated with fire, the moon for Zangetsu and bleach for Hichigo while the heavens could be a reference to Tensa Zangetsu or his Quincy powers through the Old Man. I mean Zangetsu means "Slaying Moon" literally. Tensa Zangetsu is "Heavenly Chain Slaying Moon" Which Tensa Zangetsu has the combined form of his powers now anyways so I believe it'd make the most sense.

      I could be completely wrong but I'm excited to see what Kubo has in store.

      Pretty sure Ouetsu didn't say Zangetsu was a fire-type. He merely said the sea evaporated because of the heat of the reiatsu. Remember he stated he needed the sea to cool down ALL new asauchi, by that logic, every Asauchi is a fire-type. Im pretty sure these new Zangetsu just have such an immense reiatsu, it took more water to cool it.

        Loading editor
    • Mohrpheus wrote: I have always fancied the idea that the monologue Zangetsu have Ichigo right before being released was the command.

      What was this monologue?

        Loading editor
    • "Abandon your fear. Look forward. Retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die." Something along those lines.

        Loading editor
    • Will-O-Wisp wrote: "Abandon your fear. Look forward. Retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die." Something along those lines.

      @Will-O-Wisp It could have just been a phony one to use to help suppress Ichigo's powers. Take Yumichika for example, when he says the wrong release command he has a fraction of his real power. It may be the same situation for Ichigo.

        Loading editor
    • In my opinion, it's too long, and doesn't sound good enough, to be a good release command.

        Loading editor
    • How about "Hunt and Protect, Zangetsu!"? (What would the Japanese translation of that be?)

      "Hunt" refers to Ichigo's inner Hollow, which is always eager for a fight and "Protect" indicates the more reserved old man; his Quincy powers.

        Loading editor
    • Stefan (Shikai - "Rust & Shatter") wrote: How about "Hunt and Protect, Zangetsu!"? (What would the Japanese translation of that be?)

      "Hunt" refers to Ichigo's inner Hollow, which is always eager for a fight and "Protect" indicates the more reserved old man; his Quincy powers.

      Well, I doubt he is trying to protect his enemies, if you know what I mean...

        Loading editor
    • Salindy13 wrote:

      Stefan (Shikai - "Rust & Shatter") wrote: How about "Hunt and Protect, Zangetsu!"? (What would the Japanese translation of that be?)

      "Hunt" refers to Ichigo's inner Hollow, which is always eager for a fight and "Protect" indicates the more reserved old man; his Quincy powers.

      Well, I doubt he is trying to protect his enemies, if you know what I mean...

      I'm going with the idea that one sword is primarily used for attacks (Hunt) and the other sword is primarily used for defense (Protect); so the defensive weapon would naturally protect Ichigo and not his enemies. ;P

        Loading editor
    • Stefan (Shikai - "Rust & Shatter") wrote:

      Salindy13 wrote:

      Stefan (Shikai - "Rust & Shatter") wrote: How about "Hunt and Protect, Zangetsu!"? (What would the Japanese translation of that be?)

      "Hunt" refers to Ichigo's inner Hollow, which is always eager for a fight and "Protect" indicates the more reserved old man; his Quincy powers.

      Well, I doubt he is trying to protect his enemies, if you know what I mean...

      I'm going with the idea that one sword is primarily used for attacks (Hunt) and the other sword is primarily used for defense (Protect); so the defensive weapon would naturally protect Ichigo and not his enemies. ;P

      When using two swords, one is generally used for defending/parrying, quicker strikes, is smaller and obviously less lethal, whereas the other is heavier and made for lethal blows, this would be the attacking sword. Shunsui fights in a very similar manner, although his swords are no where near as noticeable in size. Your guess would make sense, the "Zangetsu" short sword, would be his Quincy Power sword, for defending and his bigger sword which represents his hollow powers, for attacking. I think they'll possess two different abilities.

        Loading editor
    • I would guess the long blade, being the offensive, would have techniques like Getsuga Tenshô and maybe a few others he could have gained access to now. Maybe Hollow abilities like Cero and Bala?

      The short one, defensive... well, if it does represent his Quincy heritage, I'm not sure what abilities it could possibly have. For Qyincy, and defense, I can only think of Blut and Blut Vene, but those are in the body. Heilig Pfeil is offensive.

      But it might not have any Quincy related stuff, even if it does represent his Quincy side.

        Loading editor
    • I believe the shorter blade's defensive qualities lie in its small size. It's light-weight, very mobile and it has a closed grip to protect the hand. These qualities are excellent for parrying incoming attacks.

      With his old Bankai, Ichigo was able to fend off Senbonzakura Kageyoshi's billion blades, using only enhanced speed and Zangetsu, so his current short sword might be used in a similar fashion.

      Perhaps it will even turn into a shield with Ichigo's new Bankai? That'd be interesting to see and it would give Ichigo a new look of the traditional sword & shield soldier. He'd go from a hybrid to being a tank, so to speak. :)

        Loading editor
    • Haha, a tank :P

      I would rather see a short blade with a shield technique, than an actual shield. I don't think it would fit to him. He's more of the Kenpachi-type, fighting with blades.

        Loading editor
    • Stefan (Shikai - "Rust & Shatter") wrote: I believe the shorter blade's defensive qualities lie in its small size. It's light-weight, very mobile and it has a closed grip to protect the hand. These qualities are excellent for parrying incoming attacks.

      With his old Bankai, Ichigo was able to fend off Senbonzakura Kageyoshi's billion blades, using only enhanced speed and Zangetsu, so his current short sword might be used in a similar fashion.

      Perhaps it will even turn into a shield with Ichigo's new Bankai? That'd be interesting to see and it would give Ichigo a new look of the traditional sword & shield soldier. He'd go from a hybrid to being a tank, so to speak. :)

      I don't see it becoming a shield. Bleach and Shinigami follow a Japanese motif. Japanese people when using samurai swords forsake shields and heavy steel armor for pure speed and mobility, even then steel armor could rust in Japans medieval humidity. It would be nice to see, but I doubt it.

        Loading editor
    • I believe that not just Ichigo's Bankai has changed. like the Short Sword Being his Quincy Powers Having the ability the amplify his new found powers it may even be able to absorb spirit energy and then send that energy to the Hollow Sword. Also using the gap in the Long sword turn into a Bow and arrow. But the Hollow Sword Will probably shot Massive Cero and a new variation of Getsuga

        Loading editor
    • I belive Zangetsu has a Shikai command. However, Ichigo will never use it, since Zangetsu is in permanent Shikai. Also, I heard somewhere that extremely powerful Death gods can release their Soul slayer just by uttering its name (shown on few occasions by Renji).

        Loading editor
    • Well, it's not specifically "extremely powerful Shinigami", just Shinigami who have achieved Bankai.

        Loading editor
    • But not all of them.

        Loading editor
    • Yes, but Byakuya himself noted that Renji doing this meant he had achieved Bankai. It doesn't mean that Bankai users can only release their Shikai that way, just that they can choose to do so without a release command.

        Loading editor
    • Good point...

        Loading editor
    • SenNoKuroiHonoo wrote: Well, what made you think Zangetsu is Shadow type because you saw it's bankai. What about shikai? Did Zangetsu ever fired black colored Getsuga? No, Hollow Ichigo doesn't count. What happens with H. Ichigo stays in his inner world. If Zangetsu was really a shadow type Zanpakuto, it's shikai should also be able to manipulate shadows or at least fire a black getsuga.

      What if his bankai is symbolic of him surrendering to the darkness of his inner hollow making it easier for his hollow to take control of him each time

        Loading editor
    • Or...it's just a design choice. Not everything Kubo puts into Bleach is meant to be super-duper deep.

        Loading editor
    • Hollow Ichigo and Ichigo's Shinigami powers are 1. He is the true Zangetsu. I would say that everything is possible unless Kubo decides to pull off 1 specific thing.

        Loading editor
    • When Ichigo fought byakuya to save rukia he used his bankai for the first time. U have a point that Ichigo's power is dark but not his zanpakuto, remember when byakuya used his final move Ichigo said. "That's amazing, I don't have anything like that, zangetsu only taught me the getsuga tanshou I guess ill have to use all my spirit energy for this final attack" Key word "MY" Ichigo's power is dark but not his Zanpakuto

        Loading editor
    • i saw it being said that ichigo got his powers from urahara kisuke's hollowfication. i would like to correct that as he did not get his shinigami or hollow powers from that. he was born with both they were just hidden away inside him. his father was a shinigami so thats where he got those powers from. his mother if im not wrong absorbed a hollow ( we see ichigo actually turning into that hollow against espada number 4 ulwtf his name is :P) and thats where he got his inner hollow. im not completely sure but thats what i got from the series :)

        Loading editor
    • from urahara kisuke's hollowfication.

      Wha?

        Loading editor
    • Darkhunter-X wrote: from urahara kisuke's hollowfication.

      Wha?

      from his training to regain soul reaper powers and when he comes out after almost hollowfying.

        Loading editor
    • It's his hollow

        Loading editor
    • Blazenite104 wrote:

      Darkhunter-X wrote: from urahara kisuke's hollowfication.

      Wha?

      from his training to regain soul reaper powers and when he comes out after almost hollowfying.

      Glad that got cleared up. Filed under ---- i already knew.

      But he said from urahara kisuke's hollowfication. Kisuke never hollowfiy.

        Loading editor
    • yes i know that but the guy who started this discussion said that. i just wanted to correct that since he never did a hollowfication :P

        Loading editor
    • If Ichigo ever has a release command, which I doubt, it would probably be "Protect"

        Loading editor
    • I was hoping that the end result after the reforging of Zangetsu would be that he also "achieved" a sealed state and release command. Seeing as he carried his new dual Shikai, I doubt it.

        Loading editor
    • If there will be a name for it i think it will be divide Zangetsu because of his hollow and quincy power.

        Loading editor
    • Rasen21 wrote: If there will be a name for it i think it will be divide Zangetsu because of his hollow and quincy power.

      Shirogetsu(White slaying moon or something close) Juhagetsu(I'm not sure I look it up and it says origins and on a another one it says origin of hebrew so i'm not sure)

        Loading editor
    • Kyūkyoku KON wrote: If Ichigo ever has a release command, which I doubt, it would probably be "Protect"

      I think it's as you said protect and also stop the rain or let it rain.

        Loading editor
    • 157.55.39.143
        Loading editor
Give Kubos to this message
You've given this message Kubos!
See who gave Kubos to this message

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki