|Technique Type||Reiryoku-powered Spells|
Kidō (鬼道, Demon/Spirit Way; Viz "Soul Reaper's powers"/"Spells"; sometimes translated as "Demon Arts") is a form of Shinigami combat based on advanced spells. These spells are produced with strong Reiryoku and fall into two categories: Hadō for direct attacks, and Bakudō for battle support. It is one of the techniques in the Zankensoki, the group of Shinigami primary combat skills. Kidō spells are triggered by an incantation. Experienced users can trigger them without an incantation, though the effectiveness of the spell may be diminished.
Most spells are graded on a scale from 1 to 99, spells of the latter being the most powerful and the most difficult to perform. To use Kidō, a Shinigami must recite the specific incantation for the spell, which is often long and requires a few seconds to speak.
The power of a spell relies on the power of the user, as even a low-level spell can be utterly devastating when utilized by a high-class Shinigami.
Kidō can be used for practical purposes as well. Renji Abarai has demonstrated that a Kidō spell can be used to light a dark hallway if the spell is tweaked in the right way, albeit with less power.
There are three main types of Kidō: binding spells, destruction spells, and healing spells.
- Bakudō (縛道, Way of Binding): Supplementary spells which can immobilize an enemy or have an effect besides a direct strike. They may seem subtle, but these spells can give their users a tactical advantage when used properly. These are a broad category of defensive spells which block/repel attacks or freezes enemies in place. This class of spells include Kidō Barriers & Seals.
- Barriers (結界, Kekkai): Focused spiritual energy formed into a solid form of energy. This energy can take on many shapes or colors as determined by the user. Barriers are protective in nature, and can be as simple as a barrier only protecting one direction or encompassing all sides of an area. Barriers can be used for containment, and some barriers can be used offensively. Barriers can mask spiritual pressure and can make one spiritually and physically invisible. The strength of a barrier is dependent upon the power of the user. Weak barriers are easily breakable, while strong ones can last for centuries. Barriers created by noble blood are said to be unbreakable by those of lesser status. Certain barriers can be placed beforehand and activated later, while others require certain artifacts and time to activate.
- Seals (封, Fū): Somewhat similar to barriers, but far more powerful and require far more preparation to create. Seals can only be used by those of sufficient spiritual power, and are meant to hold the most powerful and/or dangerous artifacts or beings. Seals are usually hard to break.
- Hadō (破道, Way of Destruction): Offensive spells which inflict direct damage to the enemy. Their effectiveness differs depending on the user. It is said the effectiveness of the higher-ranked spells are beyond imagination.
- Kaidō (回道, Turn Way): Also known as healing Kidō (治療用鬼道, chiryōyō kidō). These spells do not have known names, numbers, or incantations to cast, and simply heal the target. As the user holds his/her hands above the patient's wounds, his/her palms glow with green spiritual energy to facilitate healing. When one heals with regular healing kidō, they perform Reiatsu restoration first. By doing so, one can attempt to recover the physical body using the patient's restored Reiatsu and the healer's external Reiatsu. Therefore, restoring the Reiatsu when the physical body is in a fully healed state is no trouble at all.
A form of classification for Kidō spells which are considered illegal by Soul Society. The use of such spells will commonly result in some form of lengthy imprisonment or worse. The Kidō spells which fall under this class are those which involve the manipulation of space and time and Kidō which sacrifices the self.
- Eishōhaki (詠唱破棄, Incantation Abandonment): A class of Kidō Incantation where the Kidō practitioner forgoes using a spoken incantation at all. While it decreases the time needed to release the Kidō, it drastically weakens the spell. While anyone well versed in Kidō can use this technique, it is most effective when done by a skilled practitioner, otherwise the spell could utterly fail (e.g. explode in the user's face). The most skilled experts are capable of using this technique to amazing effect.
- Nijū Eishō (二重詠唱, Twofold Incantation): a class of Kidō Incantation where the Kidō practitioner mixes the incantations of two entirely separate Kidō spells together to save time and confuse their opponent at the same time.
- Kōjutsu Eishō (後述詠唱, Spoken-After Incantation): A class of Kidō Incantation where the incantation is recited after initiating the spell in order to power it up. So far, only Hachigen Ushōda has been seen using this technique, in order to reinforce the nature of his Ryūbi no Jōmon during his fight against Baraggan Louisenbairn.
Kidō is commonly used in instances of surprise attacks, rather than all-out assaults, being most effective when one's opponent does not see it coming. Kidō is usable with just the spell name and no incantation or spell number.
|Bakudō (縛道, "Way of Binding") |
A broad category of Defensive, Communication, Binding, Tracking and Sealing spells.
|#77.||Tenteikūra||#79.||Kuyō Shibari||#81.||Dankū||#99, Part 1.||Kin|
|#99, Part 2.||Bankin||#?||Hakufuku||#?||Inemuri||#?||Tanma Otoshi|
|Hadō (破道, Way of Destruction)|
A category of Offensive spells.
|#57.||Daichi Tenyō||#58.||Tenran||#63.||Raikōhō||#73.||Sōren Sōkatsui|
|#78.||Zangerin||#88.||Hiryū Gekizoku Shinten Raihō||#90.||Kurohitsugi||#91.||Senjū Kōten Taihō|
|#96.||Ittō Kasō||#?||Kongōbaku||#?||Gaki Rekkō||#?||Hyōga Seiran|
|#?||Jūgeki Byakurai (Kaizō Kidō)||#?||Ura Hadō: Sannodō — Teppūsatsu|
|Types of powerful protective Bakudō spells that either seal or act as barriers.|
|Kyōmon||Hachigyō Sōgai||Ryūbi no Jōmon|
|Kokō no Jōmon||Kigai no Jōmon||Hōyoku no Jōmon|
|Shijū no Saimon||Shisō Kekkai||Millón Escudo|
|El Escudo||Roppō Fūjin||Standing Ovation|
|Goyōgai||Hako Okuri||Fūsatsu Kakei|
|Kyūjūrokkei Kakafūmetsu||Hakudan Keppeki||Unnamed Barrier|
|Unnamed Barrier||Unnamed Barrier||Unnamed Dome Barrier|
|Unnamed Barrier||Unnamed Pyramid Barrier||Unnamed Barrier|
|Unnamed Barrier||Unnamed Barrier||Unnamed Barrier|
Kidō masters display great knowledge of Kidō and its various forms. They are proficient enough to use high-level spells to great effect even without incantation, and can use multiple spells in rapid succession. Additionally, their prowess allows them to create their own spells or modify existing ones to suit their own purposes.
Kidō experts possess considerable knowledge of Kidō and its various forms. They can use mid-level spells to great effect even without incantation, though they generally use incantations for higher-level spells to ensure maximum power. Most lieutenants and captains possess this level of skill in Kidō.
Kidō practitioners possess basic knowledge of Kidō. They can use low- to mid-level Kidō without incantation, but often have trouble using spells at higher levels.
- In the dub of Episode 47, it was mispronounced as Kaidō instead of Kidō.
- ↑ Bleach Official Character Book Souls, page 97
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Bleach Official Character Book 2 MASKED, page 71
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 248, page 8
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 396, page 2
- ↑ Bleach anime; Episode 295
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 526, page 3
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 382, page 10
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter -98, page 17
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 396, page 5
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Bleach Official Character Book 3 UNMASKED, page 158
- ↑ Bleach Official Character Book Souls, page 257
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 369, page 7
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 399, pages 4-5
|Combat||Zanjutsu • Hohō • Kidō • Hakuda|
|Abilities||Zanpakutō • Reiryoku • Reiatsu • Reiraku • Shunkō|
|Government||Soul King • Central 46|
|Nobility||Kuchiki Clan • Shihōin Clan • Noble Houses • Formerly: Shiba Clan|
|Military||Gotei 13 • Onmitsukidō • Kidō Corps • Royal Guard • Gatekeepers|
|Institutions||Seireitei Communication • Shinigami Research and Development Institute • Shin'ō Academy|
|Recreational||Shinigami Women's Association • Shinigami Men's Association • Tea Ceremony Club • Ikebana Club • Calligraphy Club|
|Locations||Soul Society • Seireitei • Central 46 Compound • Nest of Maggots • Sōkyoku Hill • Gin Tonbo • Kuchiki Family Manor • Central Great Underground Prison|
|Items||Jigokuchō • Gigai • Reigai • Gikon • Kaizō Konpaku • Denreishinki • Ōken • Gokon Tekkō|