|Previous Affiliation||Gotei 13, Soul Society, Kuchiki Family|
|Previous Position||3rd Seat of the 6th Division|
|Previous Division||6th Division|
|Previous Partner||Ginrei Kuchiki|
|Base of Operations||None|
|Relatives||Unnamed Wife |
Ginrei Kuchiki (Father-in-law)
Byakuya Kuchiki (Nephew) Rukia Kuchiki (niece)
Kōga has piercing green eyes and shoulder length black hair and a long ponytail of red hair, with short tufts of red hair on the left side of his head, and bangs that hang on the right side of his face to frame it. When he was a member of the Gotei 13 he wore a standard Shinigami shihakushō, along with a long red scarf and a light lavender obi sash, with a beaded-necklace with a pendent. He also wore an intricate white headpiece called kenseikan on the left side of his head to symbolize his nobility that held his ponytail in place with red tufts of hair sticking out (which he later cut off to relinquish his status as a Kuchiki).
While originally his appearance was youthful and fit, after several hundred years sealed away, his physical form has been reduced to a withered and malnourished version of his former self. While he was imprisoned, he was adorned with a mouth mask and gauntlets around his wrists. These remained on him after his jailbreak, but the mask was cut with only the part on the bridge of his nose remained. While his scarf and necklace remain, his shihakushō is torn, leaving him bare-chested.
Kōga is a man with a true sense of duty and a commitment to making his family proud. He always tried to remain humble and serious to situations at hand. On the inside, however, Kōga was a man who deeply desired to be acknowledged for his abilities and hard work. Despite being told repeatedly by his father-in-law, Ginrei Kuchiki, to keep his rash actions under control, Kōga would never understand why Ginrei refused to praise his accomplishments, and continued to rush into every situation without hesitation. Even after being framed and imprisoned, Kōga failed to realize it was his overconfidence which resulted in his predicament; instead, he was resentful at Ginrei for not acknowledging him.
After being framed and realizing that his life as he knew it was gone forever, he had a mental breakdown, causing him to become consumed by his anger and desire to stand in greatness, leading him to become immensely arrogant in his power to the point of viewing all others as worthless, even his own Zanpakutō, Muramasa. He came to believe that a Zanpakutō is simply a tool that is expected to follow its master's every whim, and can easily be replaced, leading to him being abusive towards his own blade, turning a blind eye on the kindness of the sole individual who remained faithful to him, and ultimately severing his bond with Muramasa.
Zanpakutō Unknown Tales arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
Powers & Abilities
Master Swordsman: Kōga was an immensely powerful combatant, even with only his sealed Zanpakutō. Back when he was only a 3rd seat officer, he was able to easily fight at captain-level and take down a large group of enemies attacking him at once. His skills are very versatile, able to use various bladed weapons with high proficiency. His skill allowed him quick and precise strikes that rivaled that of Byakuya Kuchiki.
Shunpo Master: Kōga has demonstrated highly proficient skill in Flash Step, able to keep on equal footing with Byakuya Kuchiki, one of the most skilled masters. In battle, Kōga has shown great enough reflexes to dodge point-blank sword attacks unscathed.
Kidō Expert: Kōga's skill in Kidō is immense, able to use various forms of spells with great power and skill successively, fighting on equal footing against Byakuya Kuchiki; all at the same time without incantation.
Enhanced Strength: Even in his physically withered state, Kōga is deceptively strong. With a single downward chop, he was able to snap his sword's blade in two.
Immense Spiritual Power: While not a noble by blood nor of considerable age, Kōga possessed great spiritual power even when only a 3rd seat officer. Ginrei, the 6th Division captain at the time, states Kōga's power vastly surpasses his own. He displays a massive Reiatsu, even after being sealed away for several centuries. His Reiatsu is blue in color. His skill and control at using his spiritual energy allows him to perform a variety of abilities.
- Illusions: Muramasa can control other Zanpakutō, but its ability is just apart of Kōga's own special ability. He can send his Reiatsu into his enemies and throw off all of their senses. He then has complete control over what they perceive, thus making it so his opponent cannot even see him clearly though he is right in front of him. Kōga states it is so much more than simple illusions. This power can be negated by one closing their "hearts" off before challenging him.
- Spiritual Threads: Kōga is able to form invisible spiritual threads to bind his opponent in place. While powerful, these threads can only be manifested through reflective surfaces such as a building's windows or clear water, where they can be seen. In turn sufficient cutting can easily break the threads.
Muramasa (村正, Village-Just): Kōga's Zanpakutō takes the form of a normal katana with a dull red sheath, purple hilt-wrapping and a guard in a shape similar to the Kidō Corps' emblem, consisting of a circle with a pentagon-like shape in the center and three points protruding from the edges evenly spaced apart. Muramasa is an illusion-type Zanpakutō.
- Shikai: The release command is "Whisper" (囁け, sasayake). Muramasa shines with bright purple light to engulf a considerable radius, affecting any and all targets within it.
- Shikai Special Ability: Upon release Muramasa glows purple and releases a 360 degree wave of purple energy into the surrounding area causing all Zanpakutō in that area to turn on their wielder. The Zanpakutō will move on their own against their wielder's will and attack their allies or even turn against their own wielder. This power is shown to affect around 10 individuals at once. It can cause a Zanpakutō's spirit to abandon its master and attack them. The only way to combat against Muramasa's power is by understanding how the Zanpakutō works and sealing one's "heart" against it. Though in order to block the attack in that state one must have incredible Reiatsu and concentration. In addition, one must be able to still fight in that state.
- Yūkōjōchū Muramasa (有鉤条虫村正, Hooked Tapeworm Village-Just): upon a large explosion of spiritual energy, Muramasa manifests its true form into the real world. Muramasa himself has the ability to manifest in his true form and can even manifest himself at a distance from his master, able to hear his call from wherever he is. Muramasa can also manifest his sealed sword form and engage his powers independently of Kōga's command.
- Zanpakutō Manifestation: Muramasa generates a burst of energy that affects the Zanpakutō of all in the vicinity. When this takes place, the Zanpakutō of other wielders glow with a purple light. Their Zanpakutō spirits then manifest, typically as tangible shadowy figures from weaker Shinigami and with greater individuality and power from stronger Shinigami. Muramasa can break into the inner world of targets, similar to how a tape-worm leeches off its target, and forces them to bend to the user's will. This is done by removing the energy stability between Shinigami and Zanpakutō, leaving the spirit confused and allowing Muramasa to forcibly release the Zanpakutō spirit's negative emotions.
- Bankai: Not Achieved.
- (To Muramasa) "I only have enemies. Everybody hates me. I kill before being killed. To survive, of course I would. Why am I hated? Why do I have power? This power brings disaster? Or not?"
- (To Ginrei Kuchiki and Genryūsai Shigekuni Yamamoto) "Ideals of perfection doesn't exist. What exists of the following ideas is the discovery that these things are impossible to realize, the loss of hope. But it is with despair that can reach your greatest hidden power. It is the despair that breaks its limits. Frees his heart to act as you wish. Who has the power is going to dictate the rules! Even if that power is black and ugly. By winning, this blackness becomes the color of real justice!"
- (To Muramasa) "You're nothing, but a nuisance. Instead of using an unstable power like your, my own power is enough. A Zanpakutō is just an object. There will always be one for replacement."
- (To Byakuya Kuchiki) "No matter the results that I could get, no one accepted me! I was condemned as a traitor and imprisoned me! So I'll create my own place! The rule is to have power! I'll be the new emperor of the world!"
- (To Byakuya Kuchiki) "Relationship with other people? I don't need that "power"! My power is simply an extreme power where no one is accepted!"
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 Bleach anime; Episode 250
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 Bleach anime; Episode 251
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Bleach anime; Episode 248
- ↑ Bleach anime; Episode 230
- ↑ Bleach anime; Episode 249
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 6.11 Bleach anime; Episode 252
- ↑ Bleach anime; Episode 253
- ↑ Bleach anime; Episode 250
- ↑ Bleach anime; Episode 255
- ↑ Bleach anime; Episode 257
|1st Division||Captain-Commander Shunsui Kyōraku • Lieutenant Nanao Ise • Lieutenant Genshirō Okikiba|
|2nd Division||Captain Suì-Fēng • Lieutenant Marechiyo Ōmaeda|
|3rd Division||Captain Rōjūrō "Rose" Otoribashi • Lieutenant Izuru Kira • 3rd Seat Rikū Togakushi • 5th Seat Taketsuna Gori • 6th Seat Asuka Katakura|
|4th Division||Lieutenant Isane Kotetsu • 3rd Seat Yasochika Iemura • 7th Seat Hanatarō Yamada • 8th Seat Harunobu Ogidō|
|5th Division||Captain Shinji Hirako • Lieutenant Momo Hinamori|
|6th Division||Captain Byakuya Kuchiki • Lieutenant Renji Abarai • 9th Seat Mihane Shirogane|
|7th Division||Captain Sajin Komamura • Lieutenant Tetsuzaemon Iba|
|8th Division||3rd Seat Tatsufusa Enjōji|
|9th Division||Captain Kensei Muguruma • Lieutenants Shūhei Hisagi & Mashiro Kuna • 20th Seat Toshimori Umesada|
|10th Division||Captain Tōshirō Hitsugaya • Lieutenant Rangiku Matsumoto • 7th Seat Kōkichirō Takezoe|
|11th Division||Captain Kenpachi Zaraki • Lieutenant Yachiru Kusajishi • 3rd Seat Ikkaku Madarame • 5th Seat Yumichika Ayasegawa • 10th Seat Makizō Aramaki|
|12th Division||Captain Mayuri Kurotsuchi • Lieutenant Nemu Kurotsuchi • 3rd Seat Akon|
|13th Division||Captain Jūshirō Ukitake • Lieutenant Rukia Kuchiki • 3rd Seats Kiyone Kotetsu & Sentarō Kotsubaki • 6th Seat Hidetomo Kajōmaru|
|Left Service||Yoruichi Shihōin (2nd Division Captain) • Gin Ichimaru (3rd Division Captain) · Shūsuke Amagai (3rd Division Captain) • Sōsuke Aizen (5th Division Captain) • Ginrei Kuchiki (6th Division Captain) • Love Aikawa (7th Division Captain) • Kaname Tōsen (9th Division Captain) • Isshin Shiba (10th Division Captain) •Marenoshin Ōmaeda (2nd Division Lieutenant) • Chikane Iba (3rd Division Lieutenant) • Seinosuke Yamada (4th Division Lieutenant) • Ginjirō Shirogane (6th Division Lieutenant) • Jin'emon Kotsubaki (7th Division Lieutenant) • Jirōbō Ikkanzaka (7th Division 4th Seat) • Lisa Yadōmaru (8th Division Lieutenant) • Mashiro Kuna (9th Division Lieutenant) • Kirio Hikifune (12th Division Captain) • Hiyori Sarugaki (12th Division Lieutenant)|
|Dishonorably Discharged||Kisuke Urahara (12th Division Captain) • Kōga Kuchiki (6th Division 3rd Seat) • Kagerōza Inaba (12th Division 7th Seat)|
|Killed In Action||Genryūsai Shigekuni Yamamoto (Captain-Commander of the Gotei 13, 1st Division Captain) • Retsu Unohana (4th Division Captain) • Kenpachi Kiganjō (11th Division Captain) • Chōjirō Sasakibe (1st Division Lieutenant) • Sōjun Kuchiki (6th Division Lieutenant) • Heizō Kasaki (9th Division 3rd Seat) • Shinobu Eishima (9th Division 4th Seat) • Izaemon Tōdō (9th Division 6th Seat) • Kaien Shiba (13th Division Lieutenant) • Miyako Shiba (13th Division 3rd Seat)|