|Height||174 cm (5'9")|
|Weight||61 kg (134 lbs.)|
|Affiliation||Himself, Ichigo Kurosaki|
|Base of Operations||Ichigo's Inner World|
|Manga Debut||Volume 13, Chapter 110|
|Anime Debut||Episode 39|
|Video Game Debut||Bleach: The Blade of Fate|
|Japanese Voice||Masakazu Morita|
|English Voice||Johnny Yong Bosch|
|Spanish Voice||Eduardo Garza (Latin America)|
Hollow Ichigo (虚 (ホロウ) 一護, Horō Ichigo), more properly called The Hollow within Ichigo's conscience (一護の内面 (ないめん) の虚 (ホロウ), Ichigo no naimen no Horō) or White Ichigo (白一護, Shiro Ichigo), is a powerful entity who was created when Ichigo Kurosaki, a Shinigami, developed a Hollow inside his soul (during his near Hollowfication as a Plus), a commonality among the Visored.
He appears to be virtually identical to Ichigo, except opposite in color. He is a fairly tall and lean-built being with white skin and hair. His eyes consist of black pupils, white irises, and black sclera. He has black nails. While Ichigo wears a standard black Shinigami Shihakusho, his Hollow self wears a white Shihakusho with a black cloth belt. When he is later pulled out of Ichigo by Tensa Zangetsu, he wears the Bankai version of Ichigo's Shihakusho, except white. In addition, he dons the horned mask Ichigo possessed in his fully Hollowfied form.
Hollow Ichigo's most distinguishing features are his maniacal laughter and psychotic grins. He is brutal, arrogant, disrespectful, and sadistic. Hollow Ichigo has no name, and his only reason for existence is to take over Ichigo's power and body and use it to kill everything and anything he sees, as opposed to Ichigo's desire to protect. Though he taunts Ichigo as being a weak and unsuitable counterpart of himself, he relishes the idea of taking Ichigo's powers for himself. Unlike Ichigo, he battles like a berserker, ignoring injuries and overpowering his enemies with brute strength and force. He protects Ichigo's body when he is about to die because if Ichigo died, he would too. He seems to respect Zangetsu to a certain extent.
Hollow Ichigo has declared Ichigo is the "king" of the inner world and he is the "horse." Hollow Ichigo wishes to "take the crown" from Ichigo so he can have control over the body and become the dominant personality. After his loss, he states he is willing to allow Ichigo to keep the crown for now, but once Ichigo "screws up again," he will make his move again.
When he is merged with Tensa Zangetsu, much of the Zanpakutō spirit's personality seems to be in effect, making the Inner Hollow much calmer, though he is prone to occasional outbursts similar to Hollow Ichigo. He states he wishes to protect Ichigo, contrary to his frequent earlier statements of wanting Ichigo's body and power for himself.
Agent of the Shinigami arc
While Ichigo underwent training to gain his own Shinigami powers, Kisuke Urahara put Ichigo's soul through a process called Encroachment, where if Ichigo did not gain the power on his own, he would become a Hollow. Tessai Tsukabishi severs Ichigo's Chain of Fate. Tessai uses a high-level Bakudō to prevent Ichigo from using his arms to scale the sides of the shaft.
After three days in the shaft, Ichigo begins to transform into a Hollow. When the Bakudō restraining Ichigo begins to break, Tessai uses a more advanced version of it. When Jinta says it will kill Ichigo, Tessai states he must restrain him before he completes the transformation into a Hollow. Before the final part of the spell strikes him, Ichigo escapes in the large explosion created by the awakening of his Shinigami and Hollow powers. Although he succeeds in gaining his power, he emerges from the pit with Shinigami robes and a Hollow mask. He later discards the mask, or at least he thinks he did.
Soul Society arc
During Ichigo's more difficult battles, the mask he thought he discarded kept reappearing on his body in places where there would normally have been fatal wounds.
As Ichigo fought Renji Abarai, Renji used Zabimaru to hit Ichigo near his heart, but the sword was stopped for some reason. After the fight, as Hanatarō Yamada healed Ichigo, he found the same Hollow mask Ichigo thought he threw away was what blocked Zabimaru. Thinking of the mask as a good luck charm, Ichigo wants to keep the mask, but Hanatarō, fearing it, took it and threw it into the sewers. The mask was gone again for a time.
Later, Ichigo runs into the captain of the 11th Division, Kenpachi Zaraki, who stabs him in the chest. Seemingly dying, Ichigo is pulled into his inner world by Zangetsu, where he meets Hollow Ichigo for the first time. Zangetsu explains now it is time to see if Ichigo is worthy of using him. He tells Ichigo if he wants to wield him again, he must take him back with his hands, as his opponent will be himself. Ichigo is forced into a fight with Hollow Ichigo with a nameless katana while the latter has Zangetsu. Hollow Ichigo, gaining an advantage, releases his spiritual power and begins to spin Zangetsu by its cloth, similar to a flail. As the two fight, Hollow Ichigo, asking Ichigo if he thought it would be so simple to fully control his Zanpakutō, notes Ichigo only thinks about himself and never considered drawing out Zangetsu's power. Hollow Ichigo further explains there is more to Zangetsu's power, and if he can open up and lend it his power, it will become even stronger. Stating Ichigo does not do this or rely on his Zanpakutō and only worries about making himself stronger, Hollow Ichigo, tired of playing around, decides to show Ichigo the right way to use Zangetsu and moves to attack. As they cross swords, Hollow Ichigo is surprised to find the nameless katana in his hands and Ichigo holding Zangetsu. Seeing Zangetsu has decided Ichigo is worthy of using him, Ichigo awakens back in the real world.
As Hollow Ichigo stands there with a broken katana, still somewhat confused, he asks Zangetsu if Ichigo is gone before asking him if that was all. Telling him it is, Zangetsu says he is sorry to have bothered him. Hollow Ichigo tells him it was no problem, as it would be problematic if Ichigo, the owner of the inner world, did not win; even though he was unwilling, he had to help. Asking for Zangetsu to send him back, Hollow Ichigo, beginning to fade away, tells Zangetsu to train Ichigo well, as one day, that power will be his.
In the real world, as Kenpachi and Ichigo prepare for their last strike, Kenpachi's reiatsu takes the form of a skull, while Ichigo's takes the form of his Hollow mask, showing how Hollow Ichigo is supporting him.
After the battle, Yoruichi Shihōin takes Ichigo to heal him. As he awakens, she comments on how a Hollow mask saved Ichigo's life. Surprised, Ichigo mentions how Hanatarō threw it away, prompting Yoruichi, with a concerned look of fear, to get rid of the mask, much to Ichigo's dismay.
During the battle with 6th Division captain Byakuya Kuchiki at the execution grounds, Ichigo is pushed into a corner, and as Byakuya prepares to deliver the final blow, Ichigo is possessed by his inner Hollow. As he swings the sword down, Ichigo, catching it with his bare hand, starts speaking to himself. When Ichigo looks up, a mask is forming over the upper left half of his face, much to Byakuya's surprise. When Byakuya asks how this is possible and who he is, Hollow Ichigo, stating he is nobody, slashes Byakuya down his torso.
As Byakuya puts some distance between them, Hollow Ichigo, stating how weak Ichigo is, says his inexperience with his own Bankai's spiritual pressure and speed made his bones shake like crazy. Crushing the sword he grabbed from Byakuya, he states he will show Ichigo how to use a Bankai correctly. Calling another sword to his hand, Byakuya prepares for another attack. Firing off a Getsuga Tenshō, Hollow Ichigo, using Shunpo to move behind Byakuya, fires another one before appearing directly behind the Shinigami captain before the two attacks meet. As they both survive the explosion, Byakuya, noting the Spiritual Pressure and the mask are akin to a Hollow's, asks what he is. As Hollow Ichigo tells him not to worry about it because he will soon disappear, before he can finish his sentence, Ichigo, regaining control, rips the mask off. Telling Ichigo he cannot win without him, Hollow Ichigo is pulled into Ichigo's inner consciousness as the fight nears its conclusion.
Bount arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
Ever since the fight against Byakuya, the mask did not keep coming back, and eventually disappeared. From that point on, Ichigo could hear his inner Hollow calling out to him, and around the time of Arrancar invasion, he felt its influence dangerously growing over him. During Ichigo's fight with Yammy Llargo, Hollow Ichigo, interrupting Ichigo's thought process, told him to call upon him for help, stating he could make quick work of the two Arrancar, including Ulquiorra Cifer. This interruption cost Ichigo the fight, and most of his friends got seriously injured. Later, when Ichigo confronted a Hollow to regain his fighting confidence, he felt his inner Hollow trying to take over for an instant, which led him to be punched by the Hollow. During another Arrancar invasion, Ichigo ended fighting Grimmjow, and is subsequently forced to use a black Getsuga Tenshō. As this attack was one of Hollow Ichigo's moves, Ichigo made it easier for him to take over, causing one of his eyes to turn black. However, he is overcome by Ichigo.
Ichigo found the Visored, and as he fought Hiyori Sarugaki, Hollow Ichigo, starting to take control again, almost killed her before her fellow Visored subdued him. Seeing the uncontrollable power of Hollow Ichigo, the Visored agreed to train Ichigo to control him. As they place Ichigo in a spell, Ichigo's body, going completely out of control, begins to turn into a Hollow.
During this time, Ichigo journeys to his inner world to confront Hollow Ichigo. When Ichigo, asking where Zangetsu is, takes out his sword, Hollow Ichigo, asking him if he is already carrying Zangetsu, reveals he has his own white Zangetsu and claims he is Zangetsu (referring to the fact now it is his subjugation he must battle for). The Visored, taking Ichigo's body down to an underground training area, take turns battling Ichigo's body, which is possessed by Hollow Ichigo.
In the inner world, as Ichigo persists in asking Hollow Ichigo where Zangetsu is, Hollow Ichigo explains he is Zangetsu; he and Zangetsu were originally one being, as both are the source of Ichigo's power, and Hollow Ichigo was part of Zangetsu. Although they both share one physical body, if the master and servant exchange roles, the form changes as well. As Hollow Ichigo's power grew, control was transferred to him, and Zangetsu became a part of him. Therefore, the more Ichigo tries to draw out Zangetsu, the easier it becomes for Hollow Ichigo to take over Ichigo's soul. Realizing if Hollow Ichigo is defeated Zangetsu will be put back into control, Ichigo, activating his Bankai, is surprised Hollow Ichigo possesses the ability to use Bankai, creating a white Tensa Zangetsu. As Hollow Ichigo explains he got it when Ichigo did, the two battle, and Ichigo unleashes his Getsuga Tenshō. Batting it away as if it were nothing, Hollow Ichigo unleashes his own highly powerful white Getsuga Tenshō.
In the real world, Lisa Yadōmaru, fighting the possessed body of Ichigo, switches places with Kensei Muguruma. Battling him, Kensei stabs him with his Shikai. When Kensei uses his Shikai's special ability, Ichigo's body, beginning to undergo serious Hollowfication, becomes a reptilian looking Hollow.
In the inner world, Ichigo has been heavily injured, and Hollow Ichigo, explaining how he is the first user of the Bankai version of Getsuga Tenshō, taunts Ichigo about his lack of skill. Moving close to Ichigo, he, grabbing his Tensa Zangetsu, turns the blade white while telling him he cannot use Bankai, destroying his sword. Attacking the now defenseless Ichigo, he explains his reasoning for his ascendancy to power and what true power between two beings really is. Stabbing Ichigo in the stomach with his Tensa Zangetsu, he tells him he will no longer be the servant of someone weaker than him, and now he will be in control. Gaining his will, Ichigo, grabbing the sword in his stomach, transforms it into his black version. Pulling out the sword, Ichigo attack the now defenseless Hollow Ichigo by impaling him through the stomach. As Hollow Ichigo's clothes become black like Ichigo's, he begins to disintegrate into the wind. Before Hollow Ichigo totally disappears, he reminds Ichigo he concedes to his control only for now, and one day, given the smallest opening, he will take control and destroy Ichigo. He tells Ichigo if he truly wants to master his power, he must stay alive.
As Love Aikawa begins to fight the fully Hollowfied Ichigo, he realizes the battle is going to be tough. Hollow Ichigo charges up a Cero, but before he can unleash it, his body begins to break apart, resulting in an explosion of spiritual energy. When the smoke clears, Ichigo, wearing his Hollow mask, comes out of the husk of what is left of the full Hollow form. As the husk falls to the ground and shatters, Shinji has Hachi bring down the barrier, and Ichigo falls as his Hollow mask falls off.
New Captain Shūsuke Amagai arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
Fake Karakura Town arc
During Ichigo's battle with Ulquiorra Cifer, the latter seemingly kills him with a point-blank Cero Oscuras through his chest. As Orihime Inoue tries to heal Ichigo while Uryū Ishida holds Ulquiorra off, there seems to be no change in Ichigo's state. After Ulquiorra defeats Uryū, Orihime, beginning to panic, frantically begs for Ichigo to help her. She fails to notice Ichigo's hair growing longer and beginning to resemble a mane. This is a new transformation, as Ichigo's mask changes shape.
Shocked at his enemy's unexpected revival and believing Ichigo to be dead, Ulquiorra demands to know who he is. Summoning his sword to his hand without touching it, Hollow Ichigo answers with a roar. Believing words are useless, Ulquiorra fires a Cero Oscuras. To his surprise, Hollow Ichigo fires a Cero powerful enough to counter it. As Ulquiorra refuses to believe a Human could release a Cero, especially one capable of blowing away his own, Hollow Ichigo, appearing behind him, effortlessly rips off the Espada's left arm. Quickly regenerating the arm, he states his true power is not his offensive abilities, but his ability to instantly regenerate any non-vital body part. Resorting to using Lanza del Relámpago, a powerful energy spear, Ulquiorra tells Hollow Ichigo to stay right where he is because he does not want to risk using it at close range. When the attack misses, creating a massive explosion in the desert, Ulquiorra states to himself it is a difficult technique to control. Once a second spear is prepared, Hollow Ichigo appears right beside him, startling Ulquiorra because he used the Hollow equivalent to Shunpo, Sonído. When Hollow Ichigo throws the detached arm at him, Ulquiorra, slashing it away, thrusts the spear. Catching it with a single hand, Hollow Ichigo breaks it. Ulquiorra is left dumbfounded, allowing Hollow Ichigo to slice him down the torso and slam him to the ground. As Ulquiorra states he cannot believe he was defeated by a Human turned Hollow, Hollow Ichigo, stepping on Ulquiorra's head, begins charging a Cero. Commenting on how Hollow Ichigo shows no mercy, something very Hollow-like, Ulquiorra states because Hollow Ichigo has beaten him, he has no reason to live. Hollow Ichigo releases the Cero, creating a vast and powerful explosion on the dome of Las Noches.
Ulquiorra barely survives, but his left arm, both legs, and lower torso are blown away in the blast. Tossing his tattered body aside, Hollow Ichigo prepares to impale his throat with his sword. Attempting to stop Hollow Ichigo from carving up the apparently dead body of Ulquiorra, Uryū states he will no longer be Human if he goes through with such a merciless act, which prompts the possessed Ichigo to throw Tensa Zangetsu at him, stabbing Uryū through his stomach and sending him flying a distance away. Just as he is about to attack Uryū with a point blank Cero, Ulquiorra, having partially regenerated, severs one of Hollow Ichigo's horns, causing his Cero to disperse skyward.
The explosion shatters Ichigo's mask and he collapses to the ground. As his body and leg begins to regenerate, Ulquiorra thinks to himself it is merely a front, as his internal organs were decimated from Ichigo's Cero and cannot regenerate. Even so, he believes Ichigo is finally dead. However, the hole in his chest completely repairs itself, and Ichigo awakes, shocking Ulquiorra with his ability to use high-speed regeneration.
Later, when Ichigo is fighting Tensa Zangetsu in his inner world, Tensa Zangetsu, making his way to Ichigo, rips Hollow Ichigo out of Ichigo's body. When he sees Hollow Ichigo, he is in his Bankai state as well, but he is now wearing a black mask with horns and white lines stretching vertically across the eyes. Greeting Ichigo, who is shocked by his sudden appearance, Hollow Ichigo, removing his mask, asks if he recognizes him.
Wondering how Hollow Ichigo is standing before him, Ichigo states he should have disappeared when Ichigo defeated him while training with the Visored. Hollow Ichigo reminds Ichigo how he said that if he wanted to control his power, he should not die before his return. When Ichigo states he was trying to crush him out back during his training, Hollow Ichigo says it is unfortunate, since he is still around. When Ichigo asks him why his appearance changed, Tensa Zangetsu, informing him he took that form when he killed Ulquiorra Cifer, states Ichigo fears this form, as the destructive power overwhelms his heart to the point where he cannot even Hollowfy properly. When Ichigo concludes he has to fight Hollow Ichigo and win, Tensa Zangetsu tells him that is incorrect. Ichigo is not going to fight Hollow Ichigo, but both of them, in a one-on-one fight. They begin to fuse together, much to Ichigo's confusion, and take on a new form. Upon fusing, they take on a hybrid appearance: Hollow Ichigo's white Bankai coat, black horn mask remnant, white-colored hair, and left Hollowfied eye, alongside Tensa Zangetsu's appearance and black Bankai sword. Stating they are two parts of a single being, the source of Ichigo's power, they, yelling out to Ichigo "Let's go!", begin fighting him.
Cutting Ichigo's own Tensa Zangetsu in half, the merged spirit, throwing Ichigo into a building, states he still will not fall. When Ichigo says he will not fall until he learns the Final Getsuga Tenshō, the merged spirit, stating he does not intend to teach it to Ichigo, charges him down. Much to his surprise, Ichigo, letting go of his blade, allows himself to be stabbed. The spirit states it was smart of Ichigo, and the Final Getsuga Tenshō is not a technique which can merely be acquired by accepting his blade. Beginning to shed tears, he asks Ichigo if he remembers earlier in the battle when he said what Ichigo wanted to protect was not what he wanted to protect. Stating what he wants to protect is Ichigo, he says the meaning would come along with the essentials of the Final Getsuga Tenshō. Telling Ichigo if he uses the Final Getsuga Tenshō he will lose all his Shinigami powers, the merged spirit bids Ichigo farewell.
Zanpakutō Unknown Tales arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
Gotei 13 Invading Army arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
Powers & Abilities
Master Swordsman: In terms of fighting style, Hollow Ichigo relies mostly on his Zanpakutō, and thus would be considered a swordsmanship specialist. His ingenuity in it is much greater than Ichigo's, as he can use his skill in more versatile and effective maneuvers, such as using his Shikai as a flail, with which he has demonstrated tremendous aim and control of where and how it will strike. While Ichigo fights in a deductive and logical manner, Hollow Ichigo fights in a style more akin to a berserker, relying on instinct with little to no regard towards his own well-being.
- Deadly Darts (デッドリー・ダーツ, Deddorī Dātsu): Hollow Ichigo uses Zangetsu's cloth to swing his Zanpakutō and toss it at opponents for mid-range combat. Zangetsu moves very fast when thrown, and its impact is able to damage a building. If the person dodges the attack, Hollow Ichigo can use the cloth to manage the sword's direction and try to hit the target once more. By gripping the cloth, he withdraws Zangetsu, and immediately swings it to deal another attack.
Expert Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Drawing from Ichigo's experience, Hollow Ichigo is a highly capable unarmed fighter. While mostly relying on his Zanpakutō in battle, he will occasionally use unarmed attacks to surprise and incapacitate his opponents.
Highly Perceptive Combatant: Despite his arrogant and insane demeanor, Hollow Ichigo has shown to be a very insightful and crafty fighter. While regularly mocking Ichigo, his mocking would also have deep rational knowledge behind it that would ultimately help Ichigo come to better understand himself and his powers. Hollow Ichigo's intellect has also been useful in battle. He would quickly realize mistakes in Ichigo's own battle tactics and correct them or almost instantly adapt to his opponent's battle tactics to perfectly counter them.
Vast Spiritual Power: Hollow Ichigo emits a large amount of uncontrollable red-colored reiatsu, which alone is able to pulverize the stuff around him, as noticed by Ichigo. When Hollow Ichigo began taking over Ichigo's body, Ulquiorra, the 4th Espada, stated Ichigo's reiatsu fluctuated from weak to higher than his own. His spiritual power is great enough to terrify the Visored and Hollowfied Hiyori Sarugaki.
Enhanced Strength: Hollow Ichigo is much more powerful than Ichigo, overpowering Ichigo very easily. His physical strength is much greater than Ichigo's. He thrust his Zanpakutō into Gō Koga's doll Dalk, while she was in her spider form, and effortlessly pushed her back with it. After taking over Ichigo's body, he immediately grabbed Hiyori's throat, breaking most of her mask, and would have choked her to death if the other Visored had not interfered. He can thrust his Zanpakutō into or throw an opponent through a wall.
Enhanced Speed: In addition to having greater raw strength, Hollow Ichigo is noticeably craftier and more agile in his movements than Ichigo. He can catch Zangetsu in the air and make a salto before landing. He can easily dodge a tentacle attack from Dalk or a surprise attack and strike back as soon as possible. He grabbed Hiyori's throat before she could defend herself. His attack patterns are generally harder to read and keep up with, allowing him to strike down his opponent easier.
Enhanced Durability: When Zangetsu fired a second Getsuga Tenshō at Ichigo, his inner Hollow, taking control, emerged from the destroyed wall with no visible damage.
Advanced Growth Rate: Like Ichigo, Hollow Ichigo has an astounding growth rate. He gains any power Ichigo does, evidenced by his use of Bankai. He was able to use the black Getsuga Tenshō before Ichigo, despite both learning Bankai around the same time. His own Getsuga Tenshō is incomparably stronger than Ichigo's. His actual limit is unknown, as he was never in any case seen fighting with all of his strength.
Mask Shielding: Because Ichigo's body is necessary for his very existence, Hollow Ichigo protects it with his mask. During Ichigo's more difficult battles, he manifested the mask to block attacks on Ichigo's body from within his robe, serving as a shield to stop or lessen attacks on him, sometimes saving his life. The mask blocked several hits from Renji Abarai's Zanpakutō, which could have been fatal. Although the mask was thrown away afterwards, it reappeared while Ichigo was fighting Kenpachi Zaraki, preventing his torso being cut in two.
Possession: Hollow Ichigo can take over Ichigo's body and powers when Ichigo falls unconscious in a fight. When this occurs, Ichigo's sclera blacken, and his irises glow golden-yellow in combination with a Hollow mask forming on the left side of his face. If the mask gets shattered, Ichigo will regain control over his body. During his time as the dominant spirit inside Ichigo's mind, Hollow Ichigo could call out to Ichigo, eventually interrupting his thought process, and try to take over in the middle of a fight. If Ichigo manages to drive him back, only his eyes will change for a moment, and the mask will not begin to form. The Hollow's influence is great enough to force Ichigo's eye to blacken while Ichigo is in his Human body.
Hollow Form: When Hollow Ichigo takes full possession of Ichigo's body, the body undergoes a full transformation into a Hollow creature. His mask resembles a Human skull, complete with a jaw joint and rounded forehead, and has dark red stripes on the left side. This full Hollow is a white humanoid lizard with three-toed feet and a tail, with black marks all over its noticeably more muscular body. It possesses long orange hair and reptilian eyes seen through the eyeholes on its full mask. Unlike normal Hollows, this form used an actual weapon, using Zangetsu much like Ichigo himself does. When Ichigo's powers are somewhat restored by Kagerōza Inaba's Mod Soul equipment, the mask takes the design of his second Hollow form. Additionally, the fur around the wrists is colored red instead of grey.
- High-Speed Regeneration: Like some Hollows, this form shows the ability to instantly regenerate any wound and even a missing limb.
- Enhanced Getsuga Tenshō: The Full Hollow's Getsuga Tenshō completely surrounds Tensa Zangetsu. The extent of its power is currently unknown, as it has never been utilized in this form.
- Enhanced Spiritual Power: Even when only partially transformed, the Hollow's spiritual power is greatly increased. Upon awakening, the Hollow form broke free from a full-powered Gochūtekkan.
- Cero: This Hollow transformation can fire a potent Cero from either his fingertips or his entire hand. This Cero is crimson and tri-focused. The blast is strong enough to overpower a Getsuga Tenshō from Zangetsu himself, throwing him into a nearby building with great force, and force Love Aikawa to summon his Hollow mask.
- Enhanced Strength: This full Hollow form pushed back Kensei Muguruma with little effort and put all of the Visored on the defensive with just brute force. It headbutted Zangetsu and sent him flying.
- Enhanced Speed: While in this state, his speed increases greatly. After breaking free from a Kidō spell, he quickly appeared behind Yushima to attack him.
- Extra Appendage: In his full Hollow form, he can grow a large worm-like appendage from various locations on his body (during his Visored training the arm, and during his fight against Zangetsu it emerged from his chest). This appendage will try to consume Hollow Ichigo's current target.
- Enhanced Duability: In addition to advanced recovery powers, Hollow Ichigo in this form is equally difficult to injure. After being elbowed and pushed back by Kensei, he got up quickly and continued his assault. He can take multiple direct and close-range Hadō spells of at least mid-level completely unfazed.
New Hollow Form: Ichigo later has his body taken over by Hollow Ichigo once again. This time, the full transformation is very physically different in appearance, and far more powerful than the previous one. In this form, Ichigo has long straight hair, reaching down to his waist, and a Hollow hole, smaller than his previous one, decorated with markings stretching from the hole across his chest and shoulders. He has retractable claws on his fingertips and toes, small furry red tufts, two starting from his collarbone and stretching around his neck and one each on his wrists and ankles, as well as white skin. In this new form, he has a different Hollow mask. It covers Ichigo's entire head, and its markings are different, as it has four spike-shaped marks, two of them stopping by the forehead and the other two stretching past the eyes and teeth, going past his chin and joining with the marks on his chest. There are small marks resembling a heart, but with the top and bottom open, extending from the inner corners of his eyes. The mask features two long forward-pointing horns, with black strips extending from their center towards the tips. Hollow Ichigo has his own version of this form, with the opposite colors alternating black with white and vice versa.
- Chain (チェイン, Chein): After transforming, Hollow Ichigo called Tensa Zangetsu back to his hand with just a simple gesture.
- Enhanced Cero: His crimson Cero has become exceedingly more powerful, capable of completely overwhelming Ulquiorra's Cero Oscuras and causing large scale destruction to large portion of the surroundings. It is fired from between the tips of his horns instead of his fingers as it was during Ichigo's Visored training. However, if one of the horns are cut off, he is unable to form the Cero properly, and any energy already gathered will implode.
- Immense Strength: In this form, Hollow Ichigo can destroy a large portion of Las Noches's roof with the wake of a single slash of his sword. He easily tore off Ulquiorra's left arm without much resistance from the Arrancar's Hierro. He crushed Ulquiorra's strongest attack, Lanza del Relámpago, and forced it to collapse before Ulquiorra even got a chance to throw it. He easily slashed Ulquiorra from his left shoulder to his lower right hip through his Hierro. He can effortlessly throw a large portion of rock with a single hand.
- Immense Durability: Hollow Ichigo's durability has greatly increased, allowing him to withstand several large explosions in his battle with Ulquiorra at close range with no visible damage. His skin and hands are strong enough to catch and hold onto Ulquiorra's strongest attack, Lanza del Relámpago, without any damage inflicted on him.
- Sonído: Hollow Ichigo moves at exceedingly fast speeds, appearing behind Ulquiorra and countering him before the former could even turn to face him. Ulquiorra states his speed is not reached by the use of Shunpo; he actually uses Sonído.
- Enhanced Spiritual Power: His spiritual power is unknown, but Hollow Ichigo's already vast spiritual power increases drastically, as it easily overwhelms the power of Ulquiorra's second Resurreccíon. Its sheer strength terrified Rukia Kuchiki, Renji Abarai, and Yasutora Sado, who sensed his spiritual pressure far away from the bottom of Las Noches.
- High-Speed Regeneration: After Ulquiorra shatters his mask, the energy from his Hollow transformation went above him and came down as some sort of energy which regrew the lost flesh which made his Hollow hole (as a result of Ulquiorra's Cero Oscuras) and fully healed him of his injuries from Ulquiorra, who commented on it to that effect.
Zangetsu (斬月, Slaying Moon)
Since Ichigo developed Hollow Ichigo (as a result from nearly becoming one while having his Shinigami powers restored), Zangetsu and the Hollow are both the source of Ichigo's power and share the same spiritual body in Ichigo's inner world, the stronger presence retaining more control (and overall appearance) of their body; in which case, the spirit of Hollow Ichigo takes the form of an all-white (clothes and being), somewhat deranged version of Shinigami Ichigo with a strong desire to take control of Ichigo's body and power for himself. Hollow Ichigo originally used a black Zangetsu obtained from Zangetsu's spirit itself. However, after he becomes the dominant spirit inside Ichigo's mind, he carries his own white version of Zangetsu.
- Shikai: The Shikai form of Zangetsu looks like an oversized elegant cleaver. It has no tsuba and no proper hilt; what Hollow Ichigo holds is the cloth-wrapped tang. The sword is as tall as Hollow Ichigo is (1.75 meters), and has a silver blade with a black edge. The cloth wrapping on the tang seems to react to Hollow Ichigo's will, changing length at a thought or twining about the blade in an impromptu sheath. When in combat, the cloth falls away when necessary, shrinking back to a manageable size. The cloth can be used to swing the weapon like a flail and toss it at opponents for mid-range combat. The cloth can wrap up wounds. Zangetsu's wide blade can be used as a shield from incoming attacks. Unlike most Zanpakutō, which can be sealed into their original form, Zangetsu is always in its Shikai form. Yoruichi Shihōin states his Zanpakutō is a full-time released form type because of Ichigo's vast but uncontrollable spiritual energy upon generation of it, implying it is simply a type of Zanpakutō which, without proper control of his spiritual energy, once in Shikai form, remains in its said state.
- Shikai Special Ability:
- Getsuga Tenshō (月牙天衝, Moon Fang Heaven-Piercer; "Piercer of Heaven" in the English anime): At the instant of the slash, Zangetsu absorbs his spiritual energy and releases highly condensed spiritual energy at the tip of the blade, magnifying the slash attack and then flies forward. This slash takes the form of a crescent moon or in the shape of a wave. When Hollow Ichigo uses this technique it is red in color, whilst in the physical world, it is black in color with a red outline.
- Bankai: Tensa Zangetsu (天鎖斬月, Heaven Chain Slaying Moon): It is considered completely out of the ordinary for any Zanpakutō. Unlike most Bankai forms, which usually create some sort of massive creature or effect, Bankai actually shrinks his sword down to a daitō (Japanese long sword) with a white blade, crossguard, and handle instead. The crossguard has four prongs bent out to form the shape of the manji (which is the kanji for "ban," meaning "full", as in "full release"). The blade itself is durable enough to withstand even the strongest of attacks, making it quite effective in blocking and deflecting incoming attacks. It can withstand getting crushed by force. Instead of the cloth his Shikai form had, a short length of chain with a broken link at the end dangles from the base of the hilt. The chain can be used to spin the sword with one finger. In addition to his sword, Hollow Ichigo's robe is replaced with a long-sleeved, ankle-length white coat (or shikakusho) with black lining which is closed at his chest and left to flare out into ragged ends, much like that of Zangetsu himself, except Zangetsu's shikakusho is black in color. He wore a black shikakusho after Ichigo stabbed him, causing his white shikakusho to turn black.
- Bankai Special Ability: Tensa Zangetsu, much like its Shikai form, is used heavily for melee combat, but possesses a certain special ability.
- Enhanced Getsuga Tenshō: Tensa Zangetsu retains the use of Getsuga Tenshō and can be used in the same manner, but can be used in an enhanced form. When used in Bankai, these potent blasts, white with a red outline, can have their path controlled and possess explosively augmented power and speed. When Hollow Ichigo uses this technique in the physical world, it is black in color. During Byakuya Kuchiki's fight with Ichigo, Byakuya refers to this attack as a "Kuroi Getsuga" (黒月牙; "Black Moon Fang"), referring to the attack's darkened color. Both Ichigo and Hollow Ichigo have stated the Black Getsuga was originally the latter's technique.
- Hyper-Speed Combat: Hollow Ichigo takes all the power of his Bankai and compresses it into a small, condensed form, which allows him to perform high-speed combat. His new speed is so great, he can move behind a Shunpo Master like Byakuya Kuchiki and effectively attack him. He can appear in front of Ichigo, leaving no time to react.
- Enhanced Durability: Unlike Ichigo, he took a short time to recover and did not get wounded after being thrown into a building. Hollow Ichigo can deflecting Ichigo's Bankai-enhanced Getsuga Tenshō with a single unarmed hand.
- Enhanced Spiritual Power: His reiatsu is so intense and rough, as well as thick and heavy, it can suffocate Humans just by being in the general vicinity of his released Bankai, and easily surpass Byakuya Kuchiki's reiatsu. His reiatsu is solid in his Bankai, despite him only recently acquiring it. While in Bankai, Hollow Ichigo's reiatsu turns white, with a red outline.
- Enhanced Bankai Duration: Since all of his energy is "compressed", usage of his Bankai does not expel as much spiritual power as other Bankai from the point of activation, allowing him to use Tensa Zangetsu at a much longer duration than any other Bankai users of his level.
See also: Zangetsu (spirit)
After Tensa Zangetsu pulls Hollow Ichigo out of Ichigo during the latter's Dangai training, the two spirits merged into one form, one which combined aspects from both spirit's appearances; Hollow Ichigo's white Bankai coat, black horn mask remnant, white-colored hair, and left Hollowfied eye alongside Tensa Zangetsu's appearance, right blue eye, and black Bankai sword, though the sword's tsuba is white like Hollow Ichigo's. In this form, Tensa Zangetsu explains he and Hollow Ichigo were technically two parts of the same being, with both of them together representing all of his spiritual powers. Ichigo claims if this merged spirit really wanted to, he could have defeated him from the start of their battle, further stating they were that far apart in power.
- Enhanced Strength: The merged spirit is strong enough to break Ichigo's Bankai sword completely in two.
Appearances in Other Media
Hollow Ichigo is a playable character in the Bleach: Blade Battlers series, Bleach: The Blade of Fate, Bleach: Dark Souls, and the Bleach: Heat the Soul series. In addition to his Shikai, he is playable with his Bankai in Bleach: Blade Battlers 2nd, Bleach: Heat the Soul 3, 4, 5, and 6. His New Hollow Form is playable in Bleach: Soul Carnival 2, Bleach: Heat the Soul 7 and Bleach: Soul Resurrección. Hollow Ichigo is featured prominently in the movie Bleach: The Hell Verse, being the object of desire for both Togabito Shuren and Kokutō, in which its Cero is strong enough to destroy the chains which bind the Togabito to Hell and damage the Gates of Hell.
- Despite not having a name, on a television with closed captioning, he is called "Kamen" or "White Ichigo".
- Hollow Ichigo has stated he does not know what he is, and in the anime stated he does not care.
- On the cover of the 289th Bleach chapter "The Scarmask," part of a skull with a similar appearance to that of Ichigo's new Hollow form can be seen.
- When Ichigo takes on a new Hollow form in his fight against Ulquiorra, the chapter sketches reveal his Substitute Shinigami Badge is broken.
- During his fight with Zangetsu during the Zanpakutō Unknown Tales arc, Hollow Ichigo uses what appears to be a black Getsuga Tenshō despite Zangetsu still being in Shikai at the time. If this is an effect of the full Hollow transformation or a mistake of the anime producers is unknown. However, it should be kept in mind the black Getsuga was originally a product of Hollow Ichigo's.
- Despite having white irises in the manga, the anime colors them yellow.
- In episode 82, Hollow Ichigo's eyes were mistakenly colored with brown irises and white sclera in the original Japanese release, instead of yellow irises and black sclera. However, this was corrected in Viz's official English subbed and dubbed releases. In episode 114 during a flashback of Ichigo's, the eyes were still colored incorrectly.
- When Hollow Ichigo first appeared in the Soul Society arc, his teeth were colored black. However, the color was changed to white for all of his following appearances.
- In Bleach: The Blade of Fate and Bleach: Dark Souls, he possesses Ichigo's black Bankai as opposed to his own white one.
- (To Zangetsu) "He's strong... Zangetsu... train him well... because one day, that power will become all mine."
- (To Ichigo) "I'm going to keep getting closer and closer to you. And not just day after day, oh no. It's going to happen much faster than that! See I'm already closer to you than I was a moment ago. And I'll keep getting closer and closer to you, until I swallow you up and then, you'll disappear. Things are not turning out well for you at all, are they? (laughs) See you around."
- (To Ichigo) "That "Zangetsu" thing you're talking about... aren't you holding it right there? Or maybe... could it possibly be the one... that I have here?"
- (To Ichigo) "I am... Zangetsu!"
- (To Ichigo) "Ichigo, I don't know if you understand or not,...but, Zangetsu and I have always been one and the same. Both Zangetsu and I are a part of your spiritual power, and I was apart of Zangetsu! We all share the same body, and whenever the 'dominant' person changes, the outer appearance also changes. When one is dominated by 'life', one is flesh. When one is dominated by 'death', one becomes bones. It's the same reasoning. My power expanded, and so the ruling power went to me. And this way, Zangetsu became a part of me instead. The more you try to use Zangetsu's power, the easier it is for me to control your soul!"
- (To Ichigo) "Ichigo, what's the difference between a king and his horse? I don't mean kiddy shit like "One's a person and one's an animal" or "One has two legs and one has four." If their form, ability and power were exactly the same, why is it that one becomes the king and controls the battle, while the other becomes the horse and carries the king?! There's only one answer. Instinct! In order for identical beings to get stronger and gain the power they need to become king, they must search for more battles and power! They thirst for battle, and live to mercilessly, crush, shred, and slice their enemies! Deep, deep within our body lies the honed instinct to kill, and slaughter our enemies! But you don't have that! You don't have those pure, base instincts! You fight with your brain. You try to defeat your enemies with logic! And it doesn't work! You're trying to cut them with a sheathed sword! That's why you're weaker than me, Ichigo!"
- (To Ichigo) "I'm not gonna have it, Ichigo. I don't know about Zangetsu, but I refuse to carry a king who's weaker than me and get cut to ribbons with him. If you're weaker than me, then I'll destroy you, and take your crown for myself."
- (To Ichigo) "Shit. Looks like your instincts, and your desire to fight, aren't completely gone. Guess there's no way around it. You got me. I have to recognize you as the king, for now. But don't you ever forget! Don't forget that either one of us can become the king or the horse. If you ever give me the chance. I'll drag you down and crush your skull! And one last warning. If you really want to control my power, make sure you don't get yourself killed before I come back!"
- (To Muramasa) "I'm gonna devour Ichigo and take over his body for good. That's my instinct."
- (Before helping Ichigo defeat Zangetsu) "Well, there's no point if my landlord's gonna croak."
Battles & Events
- Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Byakuya Kuchiki: Rematch
- Ichigo Kurosaki & Izuru Kira vs. Gō Koga (anime only)
- Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Jin Kariya: Final Fight (anime only)
- The Cold War
- Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez
- Visored Training
- Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Shūsuke Amagai (anime only)
- Ichigo Kurosaki & Uryū Ishida vs. Ulquiorra Cifer: Final Fight
- Arrival in Karakura Town
- Ichigo Kurosaki & Hollow Ichigo vs. Zangetsu & Muramasa (anime only)
- Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Ōko Yushima (anime only)