|Shinigami Research and Development Institute|
|English||Technological Development Department|
|Headquarters||Seireitei, Soul Society|
|Leader(s)||President Mayuri Kurotsuchi & Vice-President Akon|
|Senior Member(s)||Rin Tsubokura |
|Other Members||Nemu Kurotsuchi|
|Affiliation||12th Division, Soul Society|
|Purpose||Research and Development|
The Shinigami Research and Development Institute (技術開発局, Gijutsukaihatsu Kyoku; lit. "Technological Development Department", The Department of Research and Development in English Dub) is an organization within Soul Society.
110 years ago, the Shinigami Research and Development Institute was conceptualized and created by Kisuke Urahara, then the newly-promoted captain of the 12th Division, who intended for it to be attached to the 12th Division.
The institute is behind the development of many of the technologies that aid the Shinigami, and is currently headed by Mayuri Kurotsuchi. It was founded by Kisuke Urahara, during the time when he and the Visored were captains and lieutenants. The SRDI has close ties with the 12th Division of the Gotei 13 and both presidents of the institute have also served as captains of that division.
|Position||Name||In Office||Position Status|
|Founder & President of the S.R.D.I.||Kisuke Urahara||1891 A.D. - 1901 A.D. (10yrs)||Succeeded|
|President of the S.R.D.I.||Mayuri Kurotsuchi||? - Current||Filled|
|Vice-President of the S.R.D.I.||Mayuri Kurotsuchi||1891 A.D. - ?||Succeeded|
|Vice-President of the S.R.D.I.||Akon||? - Current||Filled|
|Head of the Research Office||Hiyori Sarugaki||1891 A.D. - 1901 A.D.||Discharged|
|Unknown||Nemu Kurotsuchi||? - Current||Filled|
|Chief Operator of the Communication Research Section||Rin Tsubokura||? - Current||Filled|
|Primary Gigai Expert||Hiyosu||? - Current||Filled|
|Unknown||Female Researcher||? - Current||Filled|
|Chief of Precipice World Studies||Kagerōza Inaba (anime only)||? - 2001 A.D.||Dishonorably Discharged|
|Chief of Project Spearhead||Ōko Yushima (anime only)||? - 1905 A.D.||Dishonorably Discharged|
- The main function of the S.R.D.I. is to research and develop new technology and spiritual tools. They have invented countless items. Throughout the day and night, experiments are conducted at the Reinō Spiritual Ability Research Facility to develop new spiritual tools and instruments. The department brings together the Soul Society's top technicians, who were recruited by Mayuri Kurotsuchi.
- The second function of the S.R.D.I. is to measure spiritual waves and oversee communications. The Spiritual Wave Measurement Lab closely monitors the world of the living to ensure spiritual stability. The Communications Research Section oversees transmissions between the Human world and Soul Society, carrying out the other important function of the institute. If an incident occurs, things become pretty hectic, but otherwise, it is usually slow.
Research and Inventions
- Gokon Tekkō (悟魂手甲, lit. "Soul Apprehension Gauntlet"): A glove which forcibly removes the soul from the body.
- Denreishinki: Used for communication between Shinigami deployed in the Human World and Soul Society. Also used for Hollow detection.
- Gikongan (義魂丸, Artificial Soul Pill) : The Shinigami Research and Development Institute has performed extensive research into the modification of souls; the results of this research were artificial souls, both in the form of "soul candy" and Project Spearhead.
- Gigai Development: Maintains Gigais and developing new ones.
- Kenpachi's Eye Patch: Developed Kenpachi Zaraki's reiatsu-absorbing eye patch.
The Shinigami Research and Development Institute is nothing more than a series of labs specializing in particular types of research. These specialized labs include:
- Reinō Spiritual Ability Research Facility: to develop new spiritual tools and instruments.
- Spiritual Wave Measurement Lab (電波計測研究科, Denpa Keisoku Kenkyūka; lit. "Wave Measurement Department"): closely monitors the world of the living to ensure spiritual stability. Rin Tsubokura is a member of this lab. 
- Communication Research Section (通信技術研究科, Tsūshingijutsu Kenkyūka; lit. "Communication Technology Research Department"): Oversees transmissions between the Human world and Soul Society. This lab is responsible for the development of communication technology, including soul cellphones. 
- The SRDI was not involved with Ran'Tao's creation of the Bount, with the Bount's creation predating the establishment of the SRDI by some centuries.
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter -105, pages 2-5
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 121, page 14
- ↑ Bleach Official Bootleg KaraBuri+, page 114-115
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 113, page 5
- ↑ Bleach Official Bootleg KaraBuri+, page 114-115
- ↑ Bleach Book of SOULs, page 100
- ↑ Bleach Book of SOULs, page 98
- ↑ Bleach anime; Episode 96
|Combat||Zanjutsu • Hohō • Kidō • Hakuda|
|Shinigami Abilities||Zanpakutō • Reiryoku • Reiatsu • Reiraku • Shunkō|
|Government||Central 46 • Soul King|
|Nobility||Kuchiki Clan • Shihōin Clan • Noble Houses|
|Military||Gotei 13 • Onmitsukidō • Kidō Corps • Royal Guard • Gatekeepers|
|Institutions||Seireitei Communication • Shinigami Research and Development Institute • Shin'ō Academy|
|Recreational||Shinigami Women's Association • Shinigami Men's Association • Tea Ceremony Club • Ikebana Club • Calligraphy Club|
|Locations||Soul Society • Seireitei • Central 46 Compound • Nest of Maggots • Sōkyoku Hill • Gin Tonbo • Kuchiki Family Manor|
|Items||Jigokuchō • Gigai • Reigai • Gikon • Kaizō Konpaku • Denreishinki • Ōken • Gokon Tekkō|