|Manga||Volume 1, Chapter 1|
She has the appearance of a small girl with her long hair worn in pigtails that are held in place with ball hair bobbles. She has a long fringe which hangs over the left side of her face and wears a collared dress that reached her knee. Her left eye cannot be seen as it is covered by a large splatter of blood, which is also leaking from the side of her mouth.
Agent of the Shinigami arc
She is a spirit that dwells by a street lamp, where flowers in a glass of water are left as a mark of respect for her death. A skateboarding gang made up of Yama-Bro, Mit-Bro and Toshi-Bro knock over the flowers one day with their antics and don’t bother to pick them up. Annoyed by their actions, she asks the spiritually aware Ichigo to scare the gang away from her resting place. Ichigo proceeds to beat the gang up one by one, ensuring they are aware of their mistake before using the girl to scare them off. Ichigo apologizes to the girl for having to use her, but she thanks him for his help anyway.
When Ichigo goes to bring her flowers to her memorial site the next day, he is distracted by some sort of commotion that is revealed to be the Dead Girl being chased by a Hollow, who trips and falls during the chase. Ichigo stops to help her, but is almost attacked himself before an oblivious Rukia Kuchiki steps in and purifies the beast before it can hurt either of them. However, the girl has disappeared by this stage. That night she is attacked by another Hollow, Fishbone D before he turns his attention to the Kurosaki Clinic because of Ichigo's high Reiryoku.
Bount arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
- The Dead Girl’s appearance in the anime is drastically toned down from her appearance in the manga; the blood is no longer present and she wears a striped tank top and shorts instead.
- She plays a larger role in the anime than in the manga, where she is never seen after she is attacked by the Hollow traveling to Ichigo's home.
- In the manga, Ichigo seems to possess the ability to make the gang see her, effectively scaring them off, while he uses a threat to achieve that in the anime.
- The Dead Girl’s appearance in both Episode 109 and Episode 227 are drawn from her interaction with Ichigo in Chapter 0 Side-A.
- Her brief appearance in the 13th opening sticks more to her original design from the manga as opposed to the toned down one in the anime.